Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the competition rated springs too stiff for everyday driving they're rated at 480 to 680. The regular ones are rated at 350 to 480. They are both priced the same. Considering that people have the 620lb spring I think the regular ones would be too light. Is 680 too high? More importantly - Do these really do what they claim to do?

·
Registered
391 Posts
If you are asking about the Eibach progressive rate front coil springs that were sold by Pro Motorsports, I do. Well, I have them in my '67 vert. One of the best things I did for the car. My brother put them in his '65 coupe and also swears by the ride and handling.

I also cut one-third coil out, installed the Pro Motorsports negative wedge kit, a Stam adjustable front sway bar, urethane (I think, memory stinks) grommets, reverse eye four and one-half leaf rear springs, and no rear sway bar. Goes through S-turns really nice with a very smooth transition.

Hope this helps.

Russ

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1595962&a=12199293&p=44747301.JPG

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also have these springs- the 480-680 ones, with the negative wedge kit, 4 1/2 leaf reverse eye springs, and both front and rear sway bar. I wouldn't want the car any stiffer, that's why I went with these springs over the HD 620 lb ones. The car is very low- enough that I really have to make sure the exhausts are tucked up tight against the floors, and there's not a lot of jounce room before you hit the stops. Also there is no space to install the standard chassis stiffeners- which eat up about an inch of ground clearance on a convertible. I also just went with the new Edelbrock Performer IAS shocks. They helped a lot with rough surfaces, although the car still will not handle up to modern suspension standards on washboard corners.

Gene Zierdt
'65 Conv.
302/roller cam/valves/ported
T-5 w/3.55
negative roll, progressive front, 4 1/2 rear springs
Front & rear anti-sway bars

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got 'em in my 70 fastback. They'll come back out soon to cut 1/3 to 1/2 roundoff because they didnt' seem to lower it any. I'm surprised to hear others saying theirs are too low for subframe connectors. Maybe there are two different heights? andyway, they ride good and stiffen upwhen you get frisky. 620-680 is not too stiff if you drive hard but it can be a little aggrivating if you run alot of concrete interstate..thum-thump...thump-thump...thump-thump...

1970 Fastback, 4V 351C, various colors with black interior

1 - 4 of 4 Posts