Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car does not like motor mounts i keep breaking the lousy autozone crap!! Who has just removed the rubber,added metal ,welded together and go?? and i dont want $300 after market stuff when i can weld my own. Oh yea,my car is a weekend cruiser i dont care about vibration!! who has done it ? who loves it? who hates it? thank you guys.. ::

·
Banned
3,730 Posts
I agree, don't buy autozone crap. Check out NAPA or a real auto parts store or even the dealer. On a street vehicle, I would not recommend solid mounts....aside from jarring your teeth out of your head, they will cause damage over the long haul to the body mounts, & every contact point in the vehicle.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I sent a PM to you, but I restate it here for everyone.

It does make the car vibrate, but for a weekend cruiser its not a problem. If you're making enough power to keep breaking the mounts then you're used to a little vibration ::

It really does make the car feel like one solid unit. The only reasons I switched back to rubber is for my daughter and wifes comfort. (That, and the fact that I'm not into racing anymore ;))

If the vibration is to much for you, just install a solid mount on the drivers side. I did this and it cut down on the vibration considerably.

Car looks real angry shaking too ::

·
Banned
3,730 Posts
FYI, If after purchasing good quality mounts, the engine is still rotating considerably, then I would recommend limiting devices, such as chain or cable which attach to the engine and frame to limit rotation.

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
Lakewood Musclecar Mounts. ~37.00 at Jegs or Summit. Not solid, but captured, so they can't break. Don't worry if they don't list them on the web page (silly people). Just call and ask for them.

Oooh... this post was worth while... Darkhorse has the Lakewood Muscle Mounts for $33.00.

Or... if you want real strength and pretty looks too.... TCP motor mounts.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
i used to break motor mounts all the time... i just fastened it down with a home made tensioner mechanism right to the frame . no problems any more. DT has the exact same thing i do, and if i recall he has some pics of it as well, i dont right now. costed i think about.. 10 bucks

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
I've seen those before too. As a matter of fact, my car came with one when I bought it. It was attached to the engine at a water-pump bolt (one of the long ones). When I pulled the bolt out it had sheared from the strain.

I don't like the "torque strap" approach, because it puts stress where it does not belong and they tend to be unattractive.

The Lakewood mounts will keep things from breaking and look "normal".

The TCP mounts will keep things from breaking and look better than "normal", IMHO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts