Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello one and All:

I purchased in a package deal a 67 Fastback, a c-4, and a C-6 transmission. I believe the C-4 to be original to the car which originally had a 289. The 289 was not available. I also got a 351C engine which I had rebuilt to use in this car. The C-6 was used with the 351. I would like to use the C-4 transmission with this engine instead but the plate and bellhousing don't match up. Who Knew. I assumed they were the same. The bolt holes are alright but the threaded holes for the starter don't match. This is my first experience with trannys and engine compatability, so don't really know what I am doing or looking at or for. I know there are different bellhousings but have called many part recyclers to no avail. I could use the c-6 because it of course matches up, but then I need a new crossmember and shorter drive shaft and different linkage and different lines. Very confused on which way to proceed.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated and Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Sounds like your C4 is the small bell variety (the Mustangs usually came with this one). The small block C6 and the large bell C4 use the same block plate- starters are different. You need a block plate for an automatic car with 157 tooth flywheel- this will also correct the starter mount location. I believe you can still get them new, I have a couple of used ones in shop, if you can't.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts