Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I own a 66 Mustang, and it is 99% original. Anything that I replace, I use NOS parts. The wheel cylinder on the front right blew out about two weeks ago and I have been desparately searching for the parts since. I think I may have found them, but I just have one question.... Who made Ford Brake Parts in 1966? Was it Wagner? If it was, then i have found my parts, if not, then does anyone know who made them? Thanks for any help that you could give to me.
Ryan Worden

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I recall seeing original Bendix parts. Not sure that Wagner even existed back then.

I'd suggest rebuilding your wheel cylinder if you are curious about originality. take notice of the size of the bleeder when purchasing a replacement wheel cylinder. the originals have a very small bleeder screw.

Charles Turner
MCA Gold Card Judge(64.5-65, 66)
'65 Fastback
'00 GT Conv, triple black

Check out my 65 [color:blue]fastback!</font color=blue>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I was thinking, I didn't believe that Wagner existed. However, this guy had all original parts, so I will at least go out and take a look at them. I could rebuild one of the wheel cylinders, but the other one looks beyond repair. I already have two of the original NOS wheel cylinders (Ft. Lt. & Rear Rt.), but the front right is completely shot. How would I be able to tell if the parts he has are original or not?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got some helpful advice from a guy at Fomoco just about ten minutes ago that both Wagner and Bendix, along with several others made brake parts for Ford. His reasons were that with 2000 cars a day and 12 factories, that Ford needed all the help they could get. I guess that makes sense. I will take them with me tomorrow. You may actually know where I am going. Chambers Obsolete Parts. I saw that you lived in Cary, NC. i live in Apex. This Chambers is in Creedmoor. i got one that I know will work from Green auto Sales, and the Bendix label is still somewhat readable. They sent me a right rear wheel cylinder, and the part number was D2ZZ-2261-A. I am not sure that this is even a mustang part, altough the Z would make me think so. It doesn't look too much like the other one, that I am positive is from 1966. Would anyone know where this part belongs? Thanks for all the help, and any future help.
Ryan Worden

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey camachinist don't you mean 4/fixed piston/calipers
ha
thanks for the help on the picture posting
jimbo

M.C.A.# 50000
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575692&a=11979479&p=43517165.jpg

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
I guess I tried to draw the distinction between floating calipers and fixed calipers in an ambiguous manner...

The early calipers had 4 pistons and the caliper was bolted solidly to its bracket and all the pistons retracted after application....as opposed to the later 2-piston floating calipers (like I have on my race car) where only one piston retracted and the other was fixed and the caliper slid on its bracket to compensate for wear...

A more complete explanation was warranted...sorry 'bout that.

BTW....Was the KH part right....? I coulda sworn the old ones I worked on were KH....

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pat it was a joke. Did you ever try to get those pistons out when they WON'T move.
jimbo

M.C.A.# 50000
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575692&a=11979479&p=43517165.jpg

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Guess my sense of humor didn't exist before breakfast...*G*

Yeah, those suckers can get pretty corroded....usually, if the seals still exist, I've mounted them in the press and applied 3-4Kpsi into the piston port with my hydraulic unit and use the press to contain the piston when it moves...

You can do it using the braking system and a c-clamp but you run the risk of getting brake fluid all over the place....

Fun stuff..*G*

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

1 - 12 of 12 Posts