Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started taking out my old gas tank today to get ready for putting the new one in. My original sending unit is trash, and after a brief search on the forum to see what others are using I saw repeated complaints about the repro sending units. So if the repros are junk what are people using to replace old ones? I found Rock Auto and Auto Zone both sell Sprectra brand for ~ $50. The repros in a couple different catalogs sell for $15-$20 less but they don't say what brand or where they are made. I have no problem spending $50 for a good one but I don't want to get that if it's the same part that the resto companies are selling for less.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Certainly somebody knows something about this?

N

·
0 Posts
I would buy the best quality one npd has to offer. Chances are good that you will have to "adjust it" afterwards to get the reading dead on. The one I got in a kit with my tank was close enough for me.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Some of the repops are better than others.

I tried one of the cheap repops and it leaked from the spot weld. I ended up getting an NOS one off ebay.

·
Registered
7,756 Posts
I bought the "good" repro and it still was crap. The first broke before I could even install it. I ended up replacing the filter and float on the original and using it.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wish I could do that, my original worked pretty good before the tranny went on me and I had other responsibilities keeping me from spending the money to fix it. I knew the inside of the tank already had some rust at the time so I wasn't real concerned about the small amount of gas still in the tank since I already had ordered a new tank anyway for when I was ready to get the car running again. I had no idea at the time the car would sit for 2 years before I could channel money to it or I would have better prepped it for storage, but that's hind sight. Anyway, to get to the point my original sending unit looks really bad. Even though there wasn't much gas in the tank (or maybe because of that) the only thing keeping the sender in one piece is the rust. I went ahead and ordered the "good" sender unit from NPD today. I'll see how good it is when I get it but I'm not trashing the original just yet. If the repro turns out to be junk I'll take the original to AutoZone to compare it to the $50 Spectra brand sender. If all else fails I might try rebuilding the original with stainless tubing since the top part with the sealing ring is still pretty solid. I'm not holding out any hopes I'll find an NOS unit and anything in a junk yard is probably just as bad as mine, so I have to find a way to make what's available work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
At the risk of sounding like a smarta**, one answer to your question is that Ford makes a good sender. They still service this part, and it is available from Mustangs Unlimited and (I think) NPD, and your local Ford dealer. Be prepared to fork over $150 or so.

As for repros, I've used the cheaper repro, and I'm about to pull it for the "good repro." If that doesn't work correctly, I'll have to buy the Ford part, on top of the time & $$$ I've wasted on the repro. If I were starting from scratch, I'd just do the job once with the Ford.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Holy crap that was fast! I just ordered it yesterday from NPD and this afternoon UPS dropped it off at my door right before I had to leave for work! I knew they were sending it from a FL warehouse but I didn't expect it in one day. The sender does look kind of cheap, but it's not falling apart in my hands. It's from Oval Industries in CA, anyone hear of them? I'll see how the wiring boot fits and test it out tomorrow.

I didn't even think to check with Ford. Most everything over 15 years old is obsolete at their parts counter but I guess it couldn't hurt to call just for curiosity. I have both the M.U. and NPD catalogs and the cheap repros are all that's listed. This one came from NPD so if I find an actual Ford part I shouldn't have a problem sending the repro back.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I could swear Ford deepsix all their vintage Mustang parts in the late '90s - I remember the fuel sending units shooting up to an astonishing $75 which I paid anyway and oops, I just remembered I wanted to harvest that sender before selling my previous '65 coupe. Oh well. I hope Ford does sell them still!

Dean T

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, here's what I found out so far for anyone who might be interested;
1st off, Ford no longer services this part. One dealer I called said they didn't even have a way to look it up. Another, more accomodating dealer took my number and called me back after looking it up on microfiche. I was told Ford discontinued this part in 2000, but he gave me a part number to search the internet with.

As for the repro, of the 2 that NPD sells I have the more expensive one with the brass float. I will be sending it back. The most obvious difference compared to the original is the pick up tube points in the wrong direction. On the original part, where the tube comes thru the sealing plate it makes a 90* bend with the tip pointing at the 10 o'clock position, aimed right where the fuel line comes off the frame rail. On the repro this tube is pointed at the 2 o'clock position and is just barely to the right of the gauge sender terminal. I was able to squeeze the weather boot passed the tube to get it on the terminal, but it was pressed right up to the tube so there's no way to get a rubber fuel line over the tip and no amount of trimming will fix that without completely removing the boot. I'm sure I could get it to work, I'd just have to remove the boot to hook up the gauge wiring to the sender then put a gob of RTV over the terminals to keep water out, then replace the rubber line with a longer one to reach up and bend over to fit over the pickup tube which would be pointed away from the metal fuel line instead of aimed at it like the original part does. If I were looking for the cheapest way to get this done I would consider it, but I want to keep the original rubber boot over the terminal which means there's no way this part will work. I did find a shop in CA that has a new original part for $175, but I'm hoping a call I made to find a good used part will pan out.

·
Registered
209 Posts
If you're not in a hurry, just be patient on eBay...there doesn't seem to be any shortage whatsoever. I did get lucky a few weeks ago and got one for about 60 bucks plus shipping for an NOS unit.

Almost lost it...I thought my wife paid; she thought I did. after a couple weeks I got a nice email reminding me to pay...000PS!

Good Searching!

SamG

PS The car in my sig pic had a repro that was part of a 'fuel tank kit' from one of the major vendors...so I'm sure it was a cheapo...worked flawlessly from day one. I guess I got lucky

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The only NOS I saw was for the '65-'68, I need one for a '73 but thanks for the heads up anyway, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I check ebay everyday for it, but the n.o.s. supply seems to be 99% '65-'68, and 1% for all the rest :(

I think the '65-'68 part number is actually still serviced by Ford, but the later models have been discontinued so n.o.s. or repro are the only options for a new part. Had I known earlier I needed this I would've waited before taking my old tank out of the car 'til I located a good replacement. It's one of those things that comes up during a repair that you don't think of checking (at least I didn't think of it) until you're already taking things apart, and now that I have things apart I feel a little rushed to find one so I can get it all put back together. Plus, I want to sell my other car before getting a replacement for my daily transportation which means I'll need something to drive while I shop for that and that's what prompted me to get into this project right now to begin with. I don't have a strict deadline for doing this, but at the same time I have other things to do that are on hold until I finish this so waiting indefinitely for one to show up on ebay isn't really an option either.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts