Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my Harbor FREIGHT jack stands and need to know where I can get new ones.
Recommendations please to keep me and my 65 safe.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Odds are any jack stands you find are made in China. A 3 ton jack stand is rated for about 6x the load a small block vintage Mustang will place on it...and it was probably designed with a factor of safety of 2x or more.

You will be more likely to die in your Mustang than under it. Just use whatever you buy properly.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Using most jack stands on a cement/asphalt floor aren't any problem. If you have to work on gravel/grass/dirt, make sure you put a piece of plywood on the ground under the stand. Also, when it's up on stands, give it a little shake to be sure it won't move when you start twisting wrenches. My stands have the cross pin to adjust the height.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I like these Torin brand stands with the "locking pin" fail-safe. The teeth seem well defined. The pawl seems to engage well. And if the pawl fails the fail-safe pin takes over. I also always have a backup... I either use jackstands for backup with my ramps or have a second set of jackstands (eg when working with wheels/tires off and ramps can't be used).

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Since everything is made in the nation that has destroyed the worlds economy, If I were buying new it would be something with a pin going through the base. I have some nice jack stands my father purchased after a good friends of his son was crushed while trying to reconnect the shift linkage on a GTO 45+ years ago. I was probably 15 at the time. That was an eye opener of a funeral for me!
As for Harbor Freight, what did you expect? Pretty much a direct agent for the communist Chinese government trying to weed out the enemy.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I like these Torin brand stands with the "locking pin" fail-safe. The teeth seem well defined. The pawl seems to engage well. And if the pawl fails the fail-safe pin takes over. I also always have a backup... I either use jackstands for backup with my ramps or have a second set of jackstands (eg when working with wheels/tires off and ramps can't be used).

I use the same style. So far so good, but I doubt you will get the information you need. My advise is to have a second safety system in place. I always place my floor jack or if I have the wheels off the wheels under car.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I use an Auto Zone 3 ton. No pins unfortunately, but I can get in and out, shut the door, crawl around inside for wiring and run car with no problems

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I use the stands with pins in them. And I use my floor jack and a tire as a backup. The floor jack just touches the underside. I shake the car a little bit (a couple times over many decades the car actually fell!). I actually lie under the car and look around and think "if the car fell right now would I be okay. Do I have enough space". That's what I do. Maybe a bruise on my noggin but not crushed.

I never really liked the jack stands with pawls and fortunately the Harbour Freight ones I bought never even came out of the box. I returned those and still have my old ones.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts

I like the idea of a safety pin. Makes me think about just adding those to my current sets.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use a.set of Esco 10498 3 ton jack stands. They are a little pricey, but have round pads that sit nice and firm under my torque boxes, the car doesn't move at all and appear to be very well built.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0019JVIPM?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_ap_prod_image#aw-udpv3-customer-reviews_feature_div

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Anyone remember the old split tube type stands that HF used to sell? Now that was an accident waiting to happen. The only problem with the newer pin type is a lack of height adjustment, you are pretrty much stuck as to where the pin holes are. One thing to look for in the ratcheting type is the pawl, most are held in place wiith a roll pin, if the pin shears, the jack stand will collapse. I saw a UT video of a Sears Craftsman jack stand with that exact problem.

Reactions: wegregory

·
Registered
9,636 Posts
Anyone remember the old split tube type stands that HF used to sell? Now that was an accident waiting to happen. The only problem with the newer pin type is a lack of height adjustment, you are pretrty much stuck as to where the pin holes are. One thing to look for in the ratcheting type is the pawl, most are held in place wiith a roll pin, if the pin shears, the jack stand will collapse. I saw a UT video of a Sears Craftsman jack stand with that exact problem.
I had a set of those split tube stands that my parents gave me for my birthday in 1989. Better than working without, but not by much. I threw them away only a couple years ago as I got tired of looking at them.

The stands I have, the roll pin is only to secure the pawl to the release handle at a specific angle to promote engagement with the teeth on the post. They usually get sheared because one was impatient and tried to release the stand without lifting the car up a bit more. Still was able to use them even with the sheared pins - yeah, young and dumb.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Since everything is made in the nation that has destroyed the worlds economy, If I were buying new it would be something with a pin going through the base. I have some nice jack stands my father purchased after a good friends of his son was crushed while trying to reconnect the shift linkage on a GTO 45+ years ago. I was probably 15 at the time. That was an eye opener of a funeral for me!
As for Harbor Freight, what did you expect? Pretty much a direct agent for the communist Chinese government trying to weed out the enemy.

Lost a buddy in high school the same way. He was crushed when his 70 Chevelle fell off the jack stands, landing on him. His Mom found him a few hours later.

I was careful before that, but whenever using jack stands after that, I always did what others here have mentioned...another jack or two placed somewhere as a fail safe and a wheel slid under the car next to where I was working.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts