Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
I purchased these used so don't know who sells them or if they are still available new. Made is US & from 12 gauge ( 0.1045" ) steel. Dean

·
Registered
262 Posts
...The stands I have, the roll pin is only to secure the pawl to the release handle at a specific angle to promote engagement with the teeth on the post. They usually get sheared because one was impatient and tried to release the stand without lifting the car up a bit more. Still was able to use them even with the sheared pins - yeah, young and dumb.
Interesting. So there must be two "locking pin" types. The ones I have (Torin) have a pin that acts as a backup/fail-safe to the pawl. The pawl engages on one tooth and the pin slides in just below another tooth slightly higher up. The pawl bears the weight but if it fails the pin then catches on the tooth just above it. And it's a pretty hefty "pin".

Edit: The one downside I see to the Torin design is that it is possible that one could, when setting up the jackstand and inserting the pin early on, accidentally disengage the pawl leaving the pin as the only support. The way to ensure that the pawl would be bearing the weight is to set up the stand, then put weight on it, then put in the pin.

·
Registered
7,742 Posts
I agree with others have a backup. Either leave the jack in place, put the tire under the car or have extra. I have four jack stands I’ll usually have a backup where I’m working.

I also agree give the car a shake and test before getting under.

Basic precautions should help. A family friend has a car fall on him. He was a little guy and somehow it didn’t kill him but he was stuck and crushed. His wife found him and got him out.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Hey I just got a killer deal on some used Harbor Freight stands! They have plenty. Anyone want me to get them some?...

I just replaced my older 6 ton HF but based on the support color they likely weren’t from the recall batch. They gladly took them.

Another vote for Esco. I got a set last week and ordered more uprights so I could use either the pad or the axle yoke. About $220 a set plus $27 each for the extra yokes. The yokes come from Pelican parts, drop shipped. I kept the 3 ton stands of various makes to use for non critical apps that don’t involve lifting autos. I had orders from High Command to replace my stands.

I have a set of 12 ton Torin Big Red brand stands. Seem to be sturdy enough though I don’t get anywhere close to the rated capacity. I got them for lift height not rating. About $250 for a set of four.

My final choices were between the Esco and US Jack version sold under the Snap On brand. US Jack, as the name implies is made wholly in the US. Some stands, like Ranger, have the bases made overseas and the uprights cast here in the US. That allows them to use the made in USA moniker. US Jack is about the same price from a dealer as on the truck. They’re more difficult to find. The shipping times are what lead me to chose the Escos. I had them in a couple of days rather than a week/week and a half. My cars and some side project work are what keeps me sane during the pandemic. Or at least as sane I was pre virus.

The 3 ton US Jack is just under $400 for a 4 set, the 6 ton about $470 for a 4 set.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I like these Torin brand stands with the "locking pin" fail-safe. The teeth seem well defined. The pawl seems to engage well. And if the pawl fails the fail-safe pin takes over. I also always have a backup... I either use jackstands for backup with my ramps or have a second set of jackstands (eg when working with wheels/tires off and ramps can't be used).

i like those jack stands. right now i have some old jack stands that i bought from harbor freight many years ago, going on thirty now i believe, and never had an issue with them. when i decide to get new jack stands though i will be looking at the torin stands.

Typically I do this unless I need to use stands. Ramps feel much safer to me.

View attachment 756645
i like this best, but it is cumbersome sometimes.

by the way i trust my cars on jack stands far more than i trust them on ANY jack, no matter how good the hydraulics are.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I use those two, with pins. They worked good in my ‘73 F100 Long bed.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
I use those two, with pins. They worked good in my ‘73 F100 Long bed.

View attachment 756715
Are these examples of what is referred to as "split tube" jackstands? I have been using a pair of these since the early 80's and never had an issue with them. But I always use some sort of backup like many others on here do...a tire, the jack, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I need to replace my Harbor FREIGHT jack stands and need to know where I can get new ones.
Recommendations please to keep me and my 65 safe.
Take them to Harbor Freight, and they will replace them with new comparable jackstands that have no issues for no charge or they will give you store credit for any thing else in the store of comparable value And you can spend new money finding a set somewhere else like Advance Auto, Pep Boys etc

·
Registered
80 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Hein Werner America Made*
The Hein Warner stands use bases stamped at parent Shinn Fu in China with US cast uprights assembled, painted and inspected in the US at the Kansas City plant. The other products use similar sourced materials assembled in the US. They use enough US goods and assembly to be able to label made in the US. I‘d use any Hein Warner product without reservation.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts