Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having stanger53 rebuild everything - Pump, control valve, power steering cylinder. I want to put in new power steering hoses - return and pressure and control valve to p/s cylinder. Can anyone tell me who I can get the best hoses from in terms of fit and longetivity? Has anyone used the NPD concours hoses? I am considering them only for the fit factor - I don't care about it being original looking.

Also, if you have any tips on installing the hoses (I know to cross the hoses from the p/s cylinder to control valve) they would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Greg

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Ask stanger53 about P/S hoses. I would recommend getting custom made hoses. The biggest problem w/off-the-shelf stuff is how long has it been laying there. I had so many problems w/P/S hoses it wasn't funny.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Greg...

I have used the NPD concours hoses, as you thought, just for the fit and not for any "correctness"...

The pump and control valve were pro-rebuilt items and the slave cylinder was a new part (SSBC)...

The hoses fit perfectly, and while I only put about 1,500 miles a year on the car (weekend cruiser) they have been on for almost four years now without a single DROP of power steering fluid.

I guess I got lucky, as I read all these posts about P/S leaks and mine is bone dry and works great. Don't forget to clamp the pressure line from the control valve to the valve itself. The correct clamp is no longer available, but I used a stainless steel tie-wrap to secure it. I've read without the clamp vibration and even impact with other suspension parts (tie rod ends) can crack it...

Make sure the flare seats are replaced during the rebuild, as these are what the hose flare seats against to seal...

Good luck with it...

·
Registered
828 Posts
I have used the NPD concours ones and they fit perfect on my '66. No leaks, nice routing.

I had tried before the generic ones.....what a mess.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Don't forget to clamp the pressure line from the control valve to the valve itself. The correct clamp is no longer available, but I used a stainless steel tie-wrap to secure it. I've read without the clamp vibration and even impact with other suspension parts (tie rod ends) can crack it..."

I am not understanding you. In the diagrams, I see that there is some sort of a clamp that hold the return and pressure hoses hoing to the pump together, and on my car there is a plastic tie that acccomplishes this. Is this the clamp you are referring to? Can you explain or send a picture?
Thanks!
Greg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts