Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered and received a seat side shield for my 66 coupe with buckets:

It is a bit lighter construction, but fits well enough (with the exception of the bottom spacer block), but I noticed that what I received was more of a satin finish as compared to the polished finish on my old beat up originals.

The repro part was from ACP.

Do these come in different finishes?

Does anyone make/sell a better one?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
ACP is generally regarded as one of the better parts manufacturers out there for reproduction stuff. I doubt there are too many places actually making those, so that may be the best option. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the other side just arrived. This one is in packaging marked Corvex (from Taiwan). Similar more satin finish, even lighter material. I'll have to be careful with this one not to dent or bend it.

Maybe my old ones were polished up at some point previous to the car coming into my ownership.

·
Vendor
4,068 Posts
You got each side in separate shipments, and each different manufacturers? Wow....

Anyhow, they are supposed to be anodized aluminum, and the satin-type finish is like-original. If the old shields on your car are shiny/polished, that means that a previous owner probably did that after the anodized finish got old and cloudy/chalky.

Here is a photo of a repro next to an original in a very low-mile car... They match perfectly.

Rick
NPD

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
I wish there was a polished stainless alternative, but not sure it would stamp well without wrinkles or thin spots.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks everyone. Satin finish it is.

Now I guess I just need to sand down the spacing blocks.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Well, the other side just arrived. This one is in packaging marked Corvex (from Taiwan). Similar more satin finish, even lighter material. I'll have to be careful with this one not to dent or bend it.

Maybe my old ones were polished up at some point previous to the car coming into my ownership.

That sounds like CJ, they carry 2 different lines of parts and will substitute with another brand if they don’t have the brand you ordered.. They did that with my door latch assembly’s.. NPD is your better alternative...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts