Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20,525 Posts
IMO, on a mild 289/302 it’s not going to make much difference what brand. One thing you need to watch a little bit is the combustion chamber size. On a 289 you really need to be about 55 cc to maintain compression. A lot of aftermarket aluminum heads are about 60-65 cc and that’s about a half to full point loss in compression. How ever the big thing is how much better the heads will breath and will offset that loss in compression over all, it just may be a little soft at lower end or off idle.

The Edelbrock E Street heads for what they are work pretty well. You have to keep in mind they don’t have fancy valves or port clean up. That’s where the cost difference is. Here’s a good read. You’ll see that the so called garbage head Edelbrock while coming in 3rd place was very close to the 1st place Trick Flow for less money.

I’m running GT40P heads and I like them.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-1302-six-budget-ford-heads-that-work/amp/

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I got side tracked with life and haven't done anything yet. I do have a pair of GT40 heads all reconditioned ready to go. I'm just getting back to working on the project car and will probably make up my mind and get it done this summer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The AFR 165's would be an excellent street head for a 289/ 302 . They cost a little more than some of the other heads on the market but the build quality is 2nd to none

21 - 27 of 27 Posts