Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some samples from ACC and wasnt impressed. The loop is too shiny and slick and doesnt match my original carpet. Who has the best, most authentic carpet for our cars? Thanks, Cliff

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
From what Rick at NPD has posted on here before, when it comes to carpet for our cars, ACC is the only game left in town. Most folks seem to have good luck buying the ACC mass-backed carpet.

·
Premium Member
6,318 Posts
I've had good luck with ACC. Tried another brand once and for any difference there was in color there was a big difference in the quality of the construction. Don't worry. It will fade some! They have an 80/20 nylon/rayon blend and a 100% nylon, as well as the more modern short pile stuff. And they have regular jute backed and a mass-backed that is a little harder to cut but generally drops in place.

·
Registered
9,042 Posts
ACC has a total Monopoly on the Mustang Carpet market since they are the only makers...

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
9,042 Posts
What you might do is look into ACC's "Mass Backed" carpet option since most like that better than just the regular type.....

Just a suggestion.....but it depends on your needs and pocket book...

Tony K.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Head to your local upholstery shop. I've heard more than one person complain about the ACC carpet. It seems that this may be one item that is best left to a local artisan.

·
Premium Member
13,953 Posts
Well, I guess that takes care of that. Its ACC or nothing. Thanks!
no, it's not ACC or nothing,

I have all classic interiors done at local auto / marine upholstery shops. The people who own and work at these shops are true artisans and are happy to make you an interior that is perfect match for the original, or far far better than original; your car, your choice.

are these services as cheap as the mass produced carpets. Probably not, as usual, you get what you pay for.

Z

PS why people put up with the terrible carpets when there are alternatives is a mystery to me.

·
Registered
9,042 Posts
What amazes me after all of these years is that there is no competition out there...lol...

Most people are happy with the ACC "Mass Backed" option though I have found...

Tony K.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I installed the 1965 medium blue ACC mass backed in the Spring. It fit well and color was a good match. We'll see how long it takes before it starts to fade on the transmission tunnel.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Were the samples you requested from ACC 100% Nylon, or were they "Raylon"??

Big difference..

NPD
I just requested a loop carpet. I was more interested in the colors at the time. It feels and looks like 100% nylon. I dont see Raylon listed as an option.

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,651 Posts
If your factory carpet is faded and dirty, clean it and redye it for a superior outcome. If that is not possible, look for high quality raw materials. In my experience the quality of the knap in the fitted carpet kits is such that the carpet quicky frizzes up and looks like $hit in short order. Your local auto trim shop should have access to higher quality bulk material and can custom fit that higher quality carpet to your car.

As stated earlier in this thread, when it comes to carpet, you get what you pay for.

·
Vendor
4,089 Posts
I just requested a loop carpet. I was more interested in the colors at the time. It feels and looks like 100% nylon. I dont see Raylon listed as an option.
You should call ACC, and request "Raylon" samples... It is, by a wide margin, the BEST facsimile of original loop carpeting (twisted loops, and not corn-rowed like the 100% nylon material), and those samples may put your mind more at ease...

Rick
NPD

1 - 14 of 14 Posts