Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I broke down and tried it on a rusty glovebox hinge. I had an old 2 liter bottle of Diet Coke, so I soaked it for about 48 hrs......TO NO RESULT ! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

Was I the only doofus who fell for this ruse?

Or does Diet Coke not work as well Coke Classic?

Will Vanilla Coke port and polish a set of heads? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Dickson

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I have photographic evidence of a rusted battery cable bolt that i cleaned from rust after only 12 hours in coke (pure coke, not diet.....but i dont mean 'pure coke' /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif)

Although i cant find those 2 pics right now!

Gary

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Here we go...

BEFORE
http://a6.cpimg.com/image/5A/97/11654746-be01-01F80172-.jpg

AFTER
http://a5.cpimg.com/image/59/97/11654745-d38a-01C5018E-.jpg

I did nothing to it except put it in the coke!

Gary

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Living in the South, you should have known better, Dickson!

I hear that new Diet Vanilla Coke (coming this Fall) will wash and wax your car for you.

Steve

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I used Diet Pepsi on an old 351 block that the pistons were rusted solid in. After about a week of soaking they did break free. I was amazed, but it did work. I had previously soaked it for 2 weeks with penetrating oil and they were just as stuck as when I started. One week with "DP Blaster" and they broke free.

I think sometimes parts are so rusted that nothing will save them.

Now I'm going to have to do a "control test" on an old rusty bolt to prove or disprove this theory.

Realy? Diet vanilla Coke will wash and wax my car? I can't wait for this stuff........... *G*.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
You didn't remove rust, you removed rusting looking sulfuric acid. The carbonation will neutralize the sulfuric acid. Baking soda in water will do the same thing ... but a whole lot better, a whole lot faster, and it's not all sticky when you're done /forums/images/icons/wink.gif.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK I've seen firsthand what Coke can do to clean up the white powder that accumulates on a battery terminal, but I always figured that reaction was due to some sort of acid to base chemical reaction.....not quite as impressive as actually removing rust/scale.

BTW that bolt still looks kinda rusty to me.....(may be just the pic)

Think I'll stick to the old wire wheel followed by an acid wash in "metal prep" - which is what I resorted to yesterday after the Coke failure ! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Dickson

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
No wonder it didn't work, you used the diet..lol
The coke today is not what it was. At one time a bottle, 6 oz of coke and a couple of asprins and you were away for the night, use to be good for cleaning windshields of bugs as well as long as you did not get any on the paint. Had to rinse it off as soon as you could or the paint would get damaged. A 4 inch nail would disolve in , if I remember right, about 4 weeks..So yes it would get rid of rust as well but again you have to be sure to clean it good after you try it or it can make more problems down the road.
Don

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
OK, it took some rust off - and all the white powdery stuff, but its not exactly a chromed finish.

It was less effort than the wire wheel /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Unless good old 'irish' coke is a totally different substance, and actually CAN remove rust! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Gary

·
Registered
865 Posts
All you old fogees and your ancent ways of doing things. gotta get with the times and use the most expensive thing in the store. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I must admit a longstanding love affair with the old wire wheel....both bench grinder and angle grinder......Such immediate results/gratification......

Are we sure that "Irish Coke" does not include a little whiskey as well? That may not aid in rust removal, but after 8 or 10 of them you don't worry about rust nearly as much ! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
6,855 Posts
Gosh Dickson,

How could you be such an idiot to believe an old wive's tale like that???

Everyone knows that it's McDonald's Coffee that removes rust, not Coke!

What a Maroon!

Phil

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"You're making me very very angry!" (Marvin the Martian)

I thought McDonald's coffee only removed genitalia.....

/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

G

·
0 Posts
I didn't want to jump into the middle of this but since I happen to have a bottle of diet coke right next to the computer here I go...

Diet Coke lists phosphoric acid and citric acid as ingredients. We all know that phosphoric acid removes rust so I suspect it will work. The amount of phosphoric acid in DC must be small or it would probably be harmful to ingest so if you're going to use it for a rust remover then you probably have to let it sit a very long time.

I think Hal's application would be one of the only instances where Diet Coke would be the right tool. He needed an extremely weak solution of phosphoric acid to remove the smallest amount of metal possible to unfreeze the engine.

If you want to do nuts and bolts then use a stronger phosphoric acid solution or be prepared to let them sit for a few weeks.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I soaked my whole car in coke for 3 days! Look what it did!

BEFORE

http://www.holtonrestorations.com/restore/mustang4rot.jpg

AFTER

http://www.arp-bolts.com/pages/products/pages/access/links/images/ag_coil_img.jpg
At least it left me something to remember it by!

This was the race car that went after me!!!

http://www.espracing.com/ActionImages/stewartbottle.jpg

That was all that was left!!!! You should see my teeth too!

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Perhaps the acid is added to real Coke so your teeth will dissolve before they have a chance to rot !

Sorry, but today I'm listening to the voices in my head..../forums/images/icons/wink.gif

1 - 20 of 28 Posts