Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the video shop the other day and there was a copy of the original GONE IN SIXTY SECONDS movie. Got it out and had a look at it. IMO not bad for a 1974 movie. Has changed my thoughts on the 71 - 73 Mustang, (I still think the 67 - 68's are the nicest but thats just me). Man did he give that car a caning or what. The special features had a guy driving it in 2001(I think) still all bashed up doing burnouts and sh$t. The newer version definately had the better story but it was nice to see what a 1973 mustang looked like in 1974, considering I was born in 1973.

Cheers
Joe

·
Registered
21,274 Posts
I have a copy too. One thing that hurt that movie was cheezie stunts. BTW, when he hit the pole with the left front fender, after he clipped that car, trying to exit the highway, that was a for real accident. It wasn't planned. They thought that was the end of the day for them shooting. But some quick thinking, he got it re-started and drove off. They use to film on Sundays to by-pass the red tape of paperwork for that type of filming. The county official didn't work on Sundays.

BTW, you're up late, aren't you?

·
Registered
657 Posts
I found a DVD of it at Sam's Wholesale Club for $9.95 if I remember correctly. Great movie. Really cheesy, but great car and driving!!

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I saw the movie for the first time a couple of months ago.
Yes it is a very cheesy movie but I do like the 73 stang /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
As far as story goes the newer movie is much better.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Have yet to see it, but saw a documentary on Speed Channel over the weekend and loved what I saw. Ditto's on the accident with the light pole - it was not in the script. The driver just backed up and kept going. Great chase seen!!

I plan to rent both over the 4th weekend.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
In a lot of ways, I like to original better. The movie was about the car. Yea, there was some really bad acting but is was most car per movie I think I've ever seen. Right up there with the original Gumball Rally (the first one).

·
Registered
348 Posts
You guys are being nice when you say ' Cheezy " ! ! It probably had the worst acting in the world ! , BUT , I own the DVD ! It's still a great car movie , and the final chase scene IS the whole movie. Tom

G

·
0 Posts
I saw the orig car in a wherehouse about 5-7 years ago[the movie car]in the same shape from the movie
it was really wasted,but neet!
Dave

·
Registered
795 Posts
The Speed Channel Documentry said that car still runs and still tours today!

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I bought the DVD after I saw that crappy Nicholas Cage version (of which the best part was Angelina Jolie coming out from under the car she was working on, oohhh baby). I wouldn't have known the original existed if it wasn't for the "remake." I like the tow-truck chase the best.

G

·
0 Posts
I have a soft spot for the original. Toby (H.B Halicki) was from my hometown and was a friend of a frienda His family still has a junkyard here,and his brother is a local Judge. I was an extra in gone in 60 seconds 2 that Toby was killed filming in Buffalo,What a freak accident that was. The family always said the film would be finished just the way he would have wanted it to be done, sadly all the cars for part 2 are still in the junkyard here rusing away, and theres alot of them. So I guess instead of the original part 2 thats 3/4 finished we got the Nic Cage version, Ill guarantee it paid his widow alot better, and Im sure thats the only thing that matters to her. Dead husbands dreams dont mean squat when cash is involved.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I saw the original way back in 76 as a double feature at a local drive-in in NJ. It was on a bill with another forgetable flick. I loved the original because of the car chase. I have it on tape. He had another one out called the "Junkman". They run hand in hand in the cheesy acting dept.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts