Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 Rally Pac that is in decent condition but still needs a fulll restoration. Quartz clock, wrinkle paint, new lenses, etc...
I called the Tachman but the guy was so incredibly rude I could hardly believe it. I asked him a couple questions during a 5 minute call on pricing and he told me to "do it myself" and hung up on me. I did some looking on the web and it looks like he has been difficult to deal with on a number of occasions.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Wow, I didn't have any problems when he speedo/dash tack
ponies.

·
Registered
26 Posts
not rude, just to the point. see you are on the forum during your work time with bill gates and microsoft, umm, wonder how bill would like that , if he new it.
ok member like slim, kdrop, etc who i have done work for a lot in the past, let this guy know who else can do rally pacs, especially if he needs a meter for the tach, try auto instruments, d and m restoration, see what they do with decals and do they know what an inline tach is,
good luck bperm

·
Registered
26 Posts
bperm:
you forgot to tell everyone that you were nit picking me to death about prices and they are on the website, cheers form tachman
www.tachman.com/ford.htm see our new wood grain restoration services for 69 and 70 instrument and clock side housing inserts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nitpicking to death?

I asked you for prices for each of the items you would work on in a 5 minute call? I know a customer shouldnt ask those crazy type of questions. Funny how I just spoke to another company that does your type of work and they were dying laughing saying they get calls almost weekly from people saying what an *** you were to them on the phone.

HAHA --
Tired of lousy customer service? Call the dynamic trio at H&H Auto and you will get the best!

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Tachman rebuilt my tach cluster speedo with the trip odometer. He was a pleasure to deal/work with. I'll make a wild guess. I told him what was wrong, asked if he could fix it. We discussed how to ship it and roughly what the max cost might be.

I'm not a guy who looks to buy something at a dollar store then complains about quality. I didn't ask for a nickel and dime breakdown in advance...maybe I'm strange! I frankly recommend him, not looking for a cheap date with personality and good looks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe I am not as wealthy as the rest of you.. Spending $400-$500 + the value of the rally pac without being told any details doesnt seem like a good idea especially after looking at the portraits on the website.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Maybe I am not as wealthy as the rest of you.. Spending $400-$500 + the value of the rally pac without being told any details doesnt seem like a good idea especially after looking at the portraits on the website.
Check out my sig, profile and past posts. Ya I'm loaded! Worked on and owned my 68 since 1977. As you can see it's not quite a concours show car!

·
Registered
934 Posts
I have a 66 Rally Pac that is in decent condition but still needs a fulll restoration. Quartz clock, wrinkle paint, new lenses, etc...
I called the Tachman but the guy was so incredibly rude I could hardly believe it. I asked him a couple questions during a 5 minute call on pricing and he told me to "do it myself" and hung up on me. I did some looking on the web and it looks like he has been difficult to deal with on a number of occasions.

You are not alone. Try contacting these places for prices:

Classic Car Carpet | Car Clock Repair | Guage Repair | Speedometer | D and M Restoration

Speedometer Repair Tachometer Clock and Gauge Restoration for Musclecars and Vintage Automobiles

·
Registered
26 Posts
hey microsoft boy:
good luck finding anyone who can restore 66 mustang rally pacs that offers a 4 year warranty on there quartz updates and 2 years on any parts they install, not to mention has the correct meters for these tachs.
65 and 66 mustang rally pacs are labor intensive to make them look and work properly. call d and m restoration, i had a guy in houston send one to them, they had it 4 months and said the could not repair it, he sent it to me and he had back, working properly with a 2 year warranty.
thanks slim, maybe dave duncan (kdrop) or lee shumway and others will see this and set this oregon boy straight.
DO BUSINESS WITH H&H AUTO OR TACHMAN AND GET IT DONE RIGHT!!
cheers.
tachman

·
Registered
26 Posts
autoinstruments is the same, they do not know what an inline tach is nor do they have the meters, they will talk you into converting the tach to the minus side of the coil
good luck

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I don't know any of these folks, but I'm pretty sure chewing out a prospective customer- in a public forum- for calling during working hours (maybe on break? Any of your $&%* business in any case?) lands firmly on the 'nightmare' side of customer service. There's nothing wrong with having an off-day, as long as you don't try to make it somebody elses' fault.

This 'Oregon boy', regardless of the quality of service you may provide, would think twice about doing business with you solely because of the way you've represented yourself in this thread. You may well be the best, but life's too short to spend it dealing with crap. You may have forgotten that your prospective customers' choice isn't whether to give you or a competitor $$$ to fix his rally-pac, but whether or not it's worth the grief to fix that rally-pac at all.

Maybe you'll see the light, but I doubt it. Undoubtedly you'll explain why you're entitled to behave badly.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Spending $400-$500 + the value of the rally pac without being told any details doesnt seem like a good idea especially after looking at the portraits on the website.
If it's going to cost upwards of 5 hunge to rebuild your old, one wouldn't it be more prudent to just buy a brand new one?

1966 MUSTANG RALLY PAC V8 WHITE 6000 RPM *SCOTT DRAKE* - eBay (item 170515924795 end time Apr-15-11 09:54:14 PDT)

Says it's got a quartz clock, air core tach movement, and a Dupont finish. (not my auction)..

John

·
Registered
162 Posts
I don't know any of these folks, but I'm pretty sure chewing out a prospective customer- in a public forum- for calling during working hours (maybe on break? Any of your $&%* business in any case?) lands firmly on the 'nightmare' side of customer service. There's nothing wrong with having an off-day, as long as you don't try to make it somebody elses' fault.

This 'Oregon boy', regardless of the quality of service you may provide, would think twice about doing business with you solely because of the way you've represented yourself in this thread. You may well be the best, but life's too short to spend it dealing with crap. You may have forgotten that your prospective customers' choice isn't whether to give you or a competitor $$$ to fix his rally-pac, but whether or not it's worth the grief to fix that rally-pac at all.

Maybe you'll see the light, but I doubt it. Undoubtedly you'll explain why you're entitled to behave badly.
Agreed and I know who to avoid dealing with. I looked at the website and I never saw a price listed.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Ok fellas, this is kinda stupid, let's see if we can work it down and out. I have known and worked with The Tachman for many years. When it comes to getting these old Ford gauges done, you will not find many or any others that have the parts and knowledge to do the job. Some of those people mentioned may have knowledge, but the parts are extremely scarce. Others on that list have neither the parts or knowledge, and are outright ripping people off. Now, the point was made that berating a potential customer on a public forum is not a good idea...Yeah, BUT... what is the vendor and forum member supposed to do when said potential customer berates him on the forum first with one side of the story? I know for a fact, that Tachman takes his work personally, and doesn't settle for less than as good as can be done. Obviously, the initial post could have been simplified to not include name calling, and simply ask who else? There are always 2 sides to a story, and there must have been something the supposed innocent customer said to start the fireworks. If you call a business and ask for info and pricing, you will get answer. If you don't like the answer, move on, you can always come back if you find out the other options charge as much and/or do a crappy job... but now you can't because you burned that bridge! As a potential customer, you probably don't know squat going in, you are relying on the vendors expertise, so don't cop an attitude because just you have sticker shock. I know first hand how expensive it is to fix these things, and I only sell the best period... Guess who does the work on my tachs and speedos??? Yeah, The Tachman. Now I'm not naive enough to think you can't get into a disagreement with anyone, but this whole thing could have been avoided if you simply used some tact and didn't come on here and berate his business. Some people just don't hit things off, but YOU Mr. Potential customer have the NEED to have something repaired/restored, and you have to ask yourself... Was it the business owners fault? OR more likely, you ruffled feathers, then when you got hung up on, you decided it was wise to vent your anger on a public forum. There is a good reason why The Tachman is swamped with business, and I know there are MANY on this forum that could explain the obvious to you. For the few that have a problem with him, you probably went down the same road, and didn't think before you spoke. Good luck in your search for a fix on your rally pak, I hope you find someone that will fix it for you and do a good job, but make sure you ask if original parts are used. BTW, the repros are crap by comparison (cheap internals) so I recommend you steer clear unless you come up empty. Don't hold a grudge, life is too short.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mr Tachman should have responded simply by saying:

"There are two sides to this story and I'll let it lay at that".

Instead, he lost many potential customers with the childish antics and name calling.

Oh well............

1 - 20 of 41 Posts