Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I`m doing away with the front drum setup on my 68 fastback-I got the spindles and most everything else brake component wise for my 68` but when I got into the swap I realized that I might as well replace the control arms and sway arm bushings.My question is who`s got the best product?most durable?plus how are the kits that suppliers offer? the ones that sell ya soup to nuts? are they worth the hassel? Thanking you in advance for ALL your input

*you are never too old to learn something new*

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,401 Posts
Are you talking stock or afermarket? Stock, Moog makes quality stuff. Canadian Mustang and Mustangs Plus, among others, all have good kits and good word of mouth concerning their quality and service. I personally have Canadian Mustang and the Midolyne bushings and it has been great. If you are talking aftermarket, TCP, Global West and Cobra Automotive sell some high quality pieces if you are after a more performance oriented component. Depends on what you want. I would recommend doing the Shelby mod while you have everything apart, its free and will be a big improvement over the stock ride you were experiencing....

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hi I'm basically in the same situation as packrat,,what exactly is the shelby mod.?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I like the total control set-up {upper and lower tublier control arms, with coilovers and strut rods}. I have the 65 fastback which was featured on the television show "Horsepower TV" and the car had all of the total control setup installed on the show. The ride is great as well as the handling, and I have already duplicated the same setup on another 65 fastback {shelby clone} and the installation was easy. The only drawback for me was the price. It would seem that Total Control has given Mustangs Plus the exclusive rights to distrubute their products, and yes, MP has jacked the price into the heavens!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
The Shelby mod for 67 & 68 cars is lowering the mounting holes for the upper control arms straight down by 1". This gives better wheel geometery as the car turns (less positive camber is created). This does put a little extra wear on the ball joints, but the improved handling is worth it IMHO.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks again! I too never heard of the"shelby modification"
thanks for all the help ---now it`s time to look thru these catalogs I got!------ credit card in hand!

"you know your getting old when the cops look young"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts