Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I took our '69 Mach 1 and spent the weekend in Northern Michigan, color tour with friends with their '65 vette. Drove about 700 miles in 2 days. 3 weeks ago we went with the same couple to the U.P. of michigan for a car show/vacation. So in the last 4 weeks we put over 2000 miles on our cars, no issues whatsoever. I don't baby my car either, I run 80-85 most of the time (T5 behind a 351w). Drive em!!

Attachments

·
Registered
33,891 Posts
Yep. Both of these cars were built and sold as daily drivers. I drove my 66 every day until 1997, rain or shine, and once through a blizzard with foot-deep drifts on the roads.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I drove my poor old 67 coupe(289, c4) into the ground over about 50,000 miles(it was my 2nd car), ended up blowing a head gasket...and STILL drove it(did have to avoid traffic since it would overheat if you sat in traffic too long, but letting it cool off for 30-40 minutes and you could start it back up and keep tooling along). The car was still running and driving when I was forced to sell it...probably one of toughest engine I have ever seen as far as taking abuse goes. The ONLY thing that ever gave me trouble is that it would eat a starter solenoid about every 6 months or so...I just learned to carry a spare in the glove box...even points and condensor I only ever changed once. I have no clue where people get the impression that classic cars are unreliable...a points failure seems to be the most common issue in most...outside of that getting 100k miles from them without major issues is pretty common...sometimes a lot more than that.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
As my doctor told me "it sucks getting old". As anything ages problems creep up. Older cars do have less to go wrong.

Back in the day of our Mustangs, a car with 100k on it was considered at the end of it's life. Today, a car with 100k can be expected to go another 100k. That said, I much prefer changing the plugs on my Mustang every 20k miles vs paying $1k to have the plugs changed on my '06 Explorer with the 3v 4.6L every 100k.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
I've put over 30K miles on mine since 2012, not bad for a mostly weekends only car. Most of that has been on hot rod power tours. I'm in SC, my car has been as far north/west as Wisconsin and Michigan, as far west as Texas and Oklahoma (twice), and as far south as Florida and all the states in between.

She's had a few mishaps (mostly chasing down ignition/wiring issues) but otherwise all fun trips.

I could never be the "caretaker" of a low mileage original, no way could I just sit in a chair and stare at it.

Modern touches do make the trips more fun for me, I love popping the T5 up into 5th and be able to talk to my wife at 75 mph, and the reshaped TMI sport seats are soooooooo much more comfortable than the stockers for long trips (and my stockers had new "stock" TMI foam and covers when I bought the car, so I believe a fair comparison.)

Your Mach 1 looks gorgeous, I love that color/stripe combo.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Yup...drive 'em until you can't drive 'em anymore. I recently put 800+ miles on my 65 over a three day weekend, and next month it will probably be 1200+ miles over another three day weekend. I love road trips in my car, and my daughter is very comfortable in the passenger seat with occasional driver duties on the open road.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Reliable and high maintenance are two different things. Older cars are reliable if well maintained with quality parts but they are much higher maintenance due to parts that don't have the long lifespan of modern parts usually not due to being made cheap but improvements in technology and manufacturing tolerances being better now.
There are allot of DC3s still flying and will be for many many decades to come because they are maintained well that and the airframes were built like a tank...

·
Registered
693 Posts
Beautiful cars and what a fun drive. I find the more I drive my '66 the better it does but when it sits for awhile, that's when I start having issues with it. Old cars and planes are a lot alike in that aspect. If you keep the birds flying and the systems working, they tend to hold out better than just letting them sit.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
CONGRATS to you guys! You used the cars for their intended purpose. That is awesome! Like the color of your Mach 1.

We were supposed to be driving some of that same territory this month on a trip from Nor-Cal to the East Coast for Fall colors, but people can't make headers that fit like they say they will(almost over that hurdle, see my header post). We did some 600+ & 700+ mile days on our Nor-Cal to Minnesota trip in June in the 1965GTFB.

Let's keep these kind of posts coming.
Put some miles in your rear view.

Attachments

·
Registered
383 Posts
I remember watching a Jay Leno video a few years ago.

He said some people contacted him and said they are driving a restored car across the US and would like to end their trip by visiting him and seeing his car collection. He said, sure that is a great idea. What car did you restore and are going to drive? They said it was a 1950's Cadillac. And he joked that what they were going to do is nothing new and people drove 1950's cars across the US back in the day. He was hoping they were doing it in something like a Model T ford which might have been more of a challenge.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
I've had car problems dejour this month and when any of the cars in our family dies, they get mine (unless its the one broke) and I get the Mustang. I'm doing normally 70 miles round trip daily on country roads but this month I've had to go to Watkins Glen 2-3 times a week, a 100 mile round trip. I'm guessing over the past month I've put close to 1000 miles on the old girl with the past week being daily driver including an Trip to Watkins Glen International, for a day of thrashing on an autocross course. I gotta say, I was happy to put those Flowmasters back in the garage yesterday likely for the winter. I love my car for day trips and weekends. Havn't minded daily driving it at times in the 23 years I've had it for 20 min trips to work but an hour each way every day, I would need to do something about those Flowmasters, I was definitely DONE with them Sunday Evening.

As for reliability even as a function of maintenance, the Mustang is the most reliable car I have ever had. At the risk of jinxing things, that motor has been rock solid since I installed it 20 years ago. WHen things go wrong anywhere on the car its usually some upgrade I installed incorrectly.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sounds like a great 4 weeks. Two fun cars. Did you all swap rides for at least a few hours on the trip?
Ha, no, my buddy is pretty particular about his vette, he won't even let his wife drive it. Me on the other hand...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts