Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a coil spring compressor tool to remove the front coil springs from my 68. I've seen several magazines use a nice tool that uses plates and a threaded rod rather than the type that uses four fingers (or hooks). Anyone know where I can buy one?

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I just finished using the internal one with the four fingers. It worked really great! Took my old ones off with the external mcpherson types, which didn't work to try to fit in the new ones. I went to Checker Auto and used the internal type through their "buy/loan" program. Essentially you buy the compressor, have use of it for three days, then return it for your refund. That worked great for me. I couldn't justify buying one outright for a one time use. It was also very safe to use. You want to make sure the threaded rod end sticks out of the shock tower, and not vice versa. Hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I bought mine from Dr. Gas. I think I paid $54.95. The salesman gave me a deal. I ended up putting a 3/4" x 5" pipe nipple (threaded both ends) on the threaded bolt between the head of the bolt and the upper spring hooks. Be sure that you allow enough threads to remove the compressor after the spring is out of the car. It worked great for me.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I bought mine at Advance Auto (formerly Western Auto) for about $40. It
was right on the tool shelf - no special order necessary.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have one on order from NPD. It cost about $29. I hope it works. It is an internal one.
Gordy

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just got off the phone with Dr.Gas, I ordered the compressor, it's exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks everyone for the help.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I got one from Harbor Freight. Very sturdy and did the job fine on my '66 springs. Cost was a mere $10. If you don't want to buy one just go to Autozone and borrow one. And watch out, compressed coils require carefull handling.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts