Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to install my recently rebuilt door hinges on Shag yesterday. Got the passenger's hinges and door back on when I realized I had zero bolts for the driver's side. Some how I have misplaced 12 bolts.

First question-Are the bolts the same length for both end of the hinge? Meaning door end vs pillar end?

Second question-If yes to the above, who took the bolts when I wasn't looking?

I mean, misplacing 12 bolts of exact same length seem a little hard to do especially when it was done in one day.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
They are right where you left them...you just didn't look hard enough.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
IIRC the bolts are the same length. Did you check your pocket? ;) Maybe they are just in your wallet and changed themselves into greenbacks. If so that is an easy fix. Just exchange them form more bolts at the hardware store. :lol:

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Seems to me like it is one of the signs of old age. They are still where you left them, now where that is will only be revealed to you after you install the last new bolts you purchase. Are you sure they were all there to begin with? What liquid beverage were you consuming the day you removed the doors? Good luck in finding them. Remember this when the car is complete and you have "extra" bolts. Makes you wonder then also.....

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I'll keep looking but then again maybe today Red and I will go on a road trip to a local Mustang shop and buy new ones. Cleaning up old bolts is time consuming and messy. I need some new hood and fender bolts anyway.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the hinge pillar side bolts are a 7/16x20 pitch and the door side bolts are a 3/8x20 pitch.... right? But as I remember, yes, they're all the same length.

Why are you using OEM style bolts? Are you building a concours car?

Stainless Steel bolts from your local hardware store work great and look (IMO) a lot nicer.... same goes for just about every nut, bolt, screw and washer on the entire car...

Dave

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm thinking you are going to see six Frankensteins on your neighborhood!! Maybe you can trade some candy for the bolts on their necks? :p
Good luck with the search,
Joe

·
Registered
312 Posts
Midlife said:
They'll be located at the last position you'll have looked for them...guaranteed.
I always start looking there to save time. Referencing another thread from a day or two ago, did you check near the collector on your headers?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
If you're wondering...

Yes, I was at your shop last weekend AND you did show me your rebuilt hinges.... however, no bolts got a ride home with me!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

I do know how you feel, because I've been looking for my turn signal lever for almost a month now. I'm sure as soon as I purchase a new lever, my original will turn up the very next day. Maybe it's time to spend a weekend just cleaning up the garage?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
The '65 used the larger size bolts. That would be the 7/16". In '66, they reduced the diameter to reduce cost and/or allow more adjustment.

If you have both sizes on the same car, the door or door post plates have been replaced. All bolts were the same size out of the factory. Ask me how I know; trying to put a '65 door on a '66 using the '65 bolts.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Probably under the front seat.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm working on my 68fb. Not our 65. Searched my warehouse apart again and never found them. My local Mustang shop gave me 12 original bolts that I nicely cleaned up with my wire wheel.:thumbup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts