Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say all things being equal on the 2 car's, except motor. Lets say a couple 70 stangs. Who would win in a race between a stock rebuilt 70 351 W with the full performer rpm package, and a stock rebuild 1970 351 2v( no aussie cagautha, just stock 2v) with performer manny, holley 600, and a comp 268h cam(218, 218 at .050). All fuel delivery, spark, and exaust being the same. And he put bags of sand in his car to equal the wieght of the cars, since hes running the alumin heads. The story is I have the cleveland and my stupid friend keeps running is pie hole how his windsor with the rpm will just eat up the clev mentioned above all day. He says Ill be lucky to get 300 HP with the small port open chamber 2v's. He thinks I should not spend any money on induction for my motor without adding the 4v heads. I think its a bunch of bs. His complete setup RIGHT NOW will absolutely kill my car, but shoot , im still running the motor craft 2v. But Im just thinking the clev should put out just as much if not more than a windsor with rpm. I would just like to see opinions of others. Nothing serious. I know its a " let the dyno do the talking" thing. Im just bored out my mind right now. Take care.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Personally, I think it would be pretty close....might ultimately depend on how efficiently the torque is transferred to the road (C4 vs FMX, 8" vs 9", supension, tires, driver *G*)

I'm partial to W's since I run one in the race car but have been up against enough 335 series engines to be very respectful of them.

In racing trim, with both combos optimized, I'd give the nod to the Cleveland...

BTW, you can easily make 1 hp/ci with a correctly built mild 2V 335...don't let your friend convince you otherwise...in fact, for a mild street engine, I would choose the 2V heads over 4V for most applications..

Have fun!

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
the 2V Cleve makes good torque down low..so it would be close out of the lights..I think the W might out gun it..,but then again..those Cleves love the revs..2V or not..could be interesting ..but I think the Cleve might outbreathe it at the end..the W just flat runs out of breath

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
My Mustang engine bay won't accomodate a 351C so I've focused my study and experience on the W line. But I have great respect for Cleves. Especially the 351 Boss of 1971. Great car and plenty fast out of the box.

Conventional wisdom is that the 2V heads are better for the street as Pat mentions. In particular the Australian 2V heads are desired because of chamber shape and size. The smaller ports make for better velocity for low end performance. IMHO you could build more power cheaper in the Cleveland. Whether or not you would be able to best your friend in a drag race would be dependent upon several other factors. But all things being equal, I too would give the edge to the Cleveland at the end of the day.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
The first one across the line. If the package doesn't include heads for the windsor it will loose. The 351 4v closed chamber heads rock and will stomp a 2v on and off the street. I've ran many 351c setups including a 2v with a 4v carb and headers. I have a friend that has a 69 mach1 with alot of work and it ran dead even with the 2v headed motor. Now a close to stock 4v quench chamber will chew up both by at least 1 full second in the quarter mile. By the way the 69-70's were both fastbacks with fmx's and 3.70's. The only thing stock on the windsor was the block ,crank, rods, and ported heads. The cleveland had a mild performance cam, 4v intake for 2v heads, and headers. The cleveland had more potential for sure as I just got the car and it was screwed up. Happy bench racing.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Sence he is running the alumi. heads I think hes got you. BUT! If hes just thrown parts at the motor, and not set the motor, and the car up, and you do take the time to optmize the motor tune, and car setup, you will win. I out ran a LOT of cars with a well setup stock [OK, it did have a take-off 5.0L cam in it] 351w 2bbl. Why? Becouse I spent a ton of time tuneing, and seting up the car. [we were running 15.5's with this setup. motor had well over 100k on it.]

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,396 Posts
Just curious, why won't your engine bay accomodate a 351C? There's plenty people running them, its a little snug, but it'll fit.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Russ,
I guess the engine bay may in fact accomodate a 351C, or for that matter a Cammer. I should have said I have no desire to spend the extra $ to make it work. The 351C is 1.5 inches wider and almost 100 lbs heavier. From what I have read, it is not exactly a drop in. I like the fit of the 302 block in my car and that's why I've decided to stroke a Mexican 302 instead of going to a W or C.

This link is just one of the stories I ran across. About halfway down the page is where the Cleveland swap story is.

http://www.mustangsandmore.com/ubb/DanJonesEngineSwap.html

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,396 Posts
No biggie, just curious. I have no urge to put a 351 W or C in mine, I have a brand new 5.0 that I'll drop in....unstroked. I just misunderstood, I guess, and thought you were saying a 351C would NOT drop in, which I understand from Opentracker and others who have done so, that it will. As for weight, according to MustangSteve and his 400horse 351W, if you go with the 351and use aluminum heads, you are right at the weight of a 5.0 with iron heads. Its all relative though, because if you go 5.0 and aluminum heads you are once again ahead of the weight game....although seriously lacking in the torque department. Different strokes (pun intended) for different folks.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts