Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have broken your 8", what were your specs when you did so?
1) Engine
2) Tranny
3) Gears and tires

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
"warmed up"289,top loader,60s series street tires,was not pretty when it broke,lots of flying debri! FastE

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I saw a guy break an 8" with a 1967 Fairlane with a 289. He put wide tires on it and had to jack the rear end WAY-Y-Y up in the air with air shocks to clear the tires. The wheel hop (due to the rear springs being unloaded) was so bad that the ring and pinion broke. When he took it apart there were gear teeth in the bottom of the housing.

Another reason why I dislike air shocks.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I snapped a pinion in my previous mustang. It was a more or less stock 289-4v behind a 4 speed, 2.8 open rear end and 245-60R15 tires. I attributed the breakage to just being an old rear end since it was in the car when I purchased it and hadn't had it rebuild (at least until aftwards).

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
1. 302
2. 3 speed stick
3. 3:25- M/T G-50 x 15 (Guess the date ::)

Ditto on not pretty...Driveshaft, pinion, pinion housing all exited the car in one unit....

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I think the common thread here are wider tires and better than average HP. . The 8" is fine until you put traction stress on it. Then it flies apart due to the stress.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I think the common thread here are wider tires ad better than average HP.
...and relatively tall gearing, which would pass more stress up to the pinion, I think.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
March 3rd 2003--- 3/3/03 ::

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
In a 65 coupe. my brothers 1st Mustang.
very hot 289,4.11 equal lock rear,top loader trans,traction bars,H60x15 tires.
This car would pop the front wheels. it didnt take long to blow the rear.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Another common thread is standard transmissions. Dumping a clutch with good, solid traction is going to result in the power train seeking out the weakest link. Hast la vista 8". The Camaros of the fourth generation are notorious for blowing their 10 bolt rear ends. The LT1 and LS1 engines were way more powerful than the standard GM rear gear set could handle. Once you remedy the traction problems your rear end is toast. If you buy a set of drag radials for em, you might as well buy a 12 bolt at the same time because your stock 10 bolt aint long for this world.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
1. stroked 428 Cobra Jet
2. tremec TKO
3. 3.55 Trac lok, P235R14

Despite what you would think, it didn't break on a clutch dump, but rather some moderate acceleration in 2nd gear. But, as was eluded to in a previous post, wheel hop was the culprit. I firmly believe that that old 8-inch would have lasted longer without the wheel hop issues.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I managed to break some gear teeth on my 2.90 open "diff" but that was in high school with neutral drops, lots of wheel hop.... Now that I'm much more mature (ha, ha) just older, I doubt that I will ever venture into that line of abuse.
BTW what are you going to do with the limited slip??? Is the traction-lock unit still good. Because I have an "open" 8" unit now, and purchasing a new gear set is in my future. Let me know.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I recall a couple of folks telling stories how one of their rear tires passed them on the freeway before skidding out in a shower of sparks. You'ld think people would know what a bad bearing would sound like before letting it get to that point.

Okay, that could happen to a 9 also with the right idiot, but I just wanted to relate a story which didn't involve good traction and high torque.

Regards,

Dean T

1 - 13 of 13 Posts