Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on the main forum and here-
The PO had historic plates which can be registered for 10 years rather than the usual 1. The insurance is dirt cheap for cars registered as historic with the Sec'y of State. Around $150 per year with Hagerty. The Hagerty rep cautioned me against doing this as he says I could get a ticket if I drive the car in something other than a parade. What's up with that?
jim

·
Registered
971 Posts
The historic Plates are for occasional use only and yes you will get a ticket for using it even for wk end use.
The reason is the plates are so cheap because you arn't going to be driving it a lot and remember there is no yrly registration so again you are short changing the state , so thats the deal.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Jim,

We had this experience when we picked up our 66 last fall.

We were all set to register with a set of 66 plates. Then . . . the clerk at the SOS said that we could only drive the car for "show".

So we just went with a regular registration, since this is a fair weather daily driver.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I've been driving my '69 with a '69 plate on it for the last 8-10 years and haven't had any problem with being pulled over. My wife was stopped one time because the officer said the plate wasn't reqistered, it came up as n/e on his computer. My wife explained that n/e means "non-expiring", the office just said "oh" and sent her on her way. I'm not sure if the blue/gold antique plate is the same, but a plate the same year as the car is a one time fee of $25 or $30 and it NEVER expires, it's good forever. If you're pulled over, just tell them your bringing the car home from the shop.

·
Registered
971 Posts
That works if you live in a large community, but up here in these small towns you wouldn't get away with that for long. like maybe 1 time! ::

·
Registered
29 Posts
My farther inlaw is a city police officer and this is a pretty small city and I don't think I could get away this it even one time. I have a front and rear set for my 66, but I am not sure if I am gonna register them. I am building and every day driver. I want to enjoy driving it every day I can.

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts