Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im fairly new at the car thing, but consider myself somewhat cognizant, an average idiot with above average aptitude shall we say. Researching and replacing my squeaky clunky drum brakes, cylinder, shoes, springs, drums, fluid.. all mechanically explanatory, and relatively uncomplicated. What makes sense to me is the stronger shoe return spring would attach to the secondary shoe, as it moves second, but I keep reading the contrary.

Top springs. stronger spring to the primary shoe, usually blue. weaker spring to secondary shoe
The heavy ( green ) spring goes on the front shoe. The lighter spring ( yellow ) goes to the rear shoe.
The shoe with the weakest return spring moves first until it contacts the drum. Then the shoe with the stronger return spring moves out to the drum.
Quote #3 makes sense, but doesn't specify which shoe. I wasn't able to find anything on the forum that confirmed my suspicions, but did finally come across this book "the Fundamentals of Automotive Technology"
it makes sense. The last paragraph is contradictory to what is quoted above. Who's right?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
10-4 thank you, I value your opinion, and appreciate you clearing up the misinformation. Like I said I haven't worked on cars in a long long time, but I remember what BS smells like.

·
Premium Member
3,370 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe so! Back when I worked on my cars, there was no internet, I didnt even have a manual. I went with my instincts. These days its google first, wrench second, and when you read too much crap it just gets confusing. From now on, I'll only ask after Ive tried and failed. Its nice to have torque specs and tolerances, but nonsense and straight up wrong advice just muddies the waters.

·
Premium Member
3,370 Posts
Please don't do that with brakes!
Educate yourself and ask all you want, we don't mind! You can only afford to get those right the first time and every time.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hahaha! Ok then.
I get it, it’s an online forum, nobody owes me anything, and take what you get with a grain of salt. everything you read isn’t always correct, and I can’t expect woodchuck to be the information police. You know what they say surrounding yourself with smart people makes you smarter.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Hard to tell which is better sometimes. The old daze when you used your intelligence to cheat death or nowadaze where you google and find both answers and have to choose who to believe in your attempts to cheat death and a good mechanic's paycheck. But here again mechanics are like the internet, you have to choose who to believe and when it comes to these old carz, the odds are about the same as the internet...

·
Registered
34,956 Posts
Im fairly new at the car thing, but consider myself somewhat cognizant, an average idiot with above average aptitude shall we say. Researching and replacing my squeaky clunky drum brakes, cylinder, shoes, springs, drums, fluid.. all mechanically explanatory, and relatively uncomplicated. What makes sense to me is the stronger shoe return spring would attach to the secondary shoe, as it moves second, but I keep reading the contrary.
You should be working from the Ford Shop Manual. Very detailed, very specific.

·
Premium Member
3,370 Posts
^^^ yep.
Years ago I had Motors Manuals, Chilton Manuals, and the occasional Haynes books to supplement what I could pick up from real mechanics and parts hounds. I honestly didn't get an actual shop manual til my age began with a 4 again.
Now, if Snowflake and XtaC behind the parts counter can't Goggle it or pull up a YouBoob video for it, they're lost and expect me to follow...damned Snaptagram, Instachat and the Book of Faces...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts