Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a great deal on a brand new one from someone on eBay years ago. I was going to use it on my wife's 69 Mustang with a 351W but never happened. So it's been in a box for years. I'm giving thought to trying it. Ideally I'd prefer a 500 for my GT40P that has a 5.0 cam, Wieand Stealth and 600 Edelbrock which runs really well. Thoughts?

·
Registered
550 Posts
I ran Holley and Edelbrock for years. I installed a Summit carb about 3 years ago and never looked back.

Reactions: ginpunk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Think of it as a 600 holley. The carb is an improved version of a holley carb that came out in the 90's but was discontinued shortly after. Works the same as you would expect a holley to, and uses the same parts to tune, except for the gaskets.

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
Holley 4010........ which was a copy of the Autolite 4100, which patents and whatnot had expired.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
Holley 4010........ which was a copy of the Autolite 4100, which patents and whatnot had expired.
Agreed.

I'm running a 600cfm 4010 double pumper on my '71. It's a very nice running carb, great throttle response and I didn't have to monkey with it much to get it spot on.

Reactions: Grimbrand

·
Registered
801 Posts
Even though most carbs with 600 cfm would be just a little too big for a 289 or 302, and suffer from mix problems down low accordingly, the M-series Summit carbs aren't like a traditional Edelbrock or Holley. The 500 CFM version would probably be a little better for stock, but with your heads, intake, and presumably a few other supporting parts, I think you could get a little more power on the top end with the 600, without sacrificing anything. Annular boosters, tuneability, and a rock-solid design make this inexpensive carb a clear winner.

Er, I mean, you say you got it cheap? Well, I suppose I could take it off your hands... ;)

·
Registered
10,956 Posts
I'm running a Summit 600 on my Cleveland. I just did a Dyno pull and the shop said the car numbers looked pretty good. The only advice they had was to maybe try one size larger secondary jet. (I installed the smallest jets from the calibration kit because I'm at high altitude.)

·
Registered
21,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Even though most carbs with 600 cfm would be just a little too big for a 289 or 302, and suffer from mix problems down low accordingly, the M-series Summit carbs aren't like a traditional Edelbrock or Holley. The 500 CFM version would probably be a little better for stock, but with your heads, intake, and presumably a few other supporting parts, I think you could get a little more power on the top end with the 600, without sacrificing anything. Annular boosters, tuneability, and a rock-solid design make this inexpensive carb a clear winner.

Er, I mean, you say you got it cheap? Well, I suppose I could take it off your hands... ;)
Pretty much my thoughts too.

I'd be more then willing to give you a good deal on it but I suspect shipping charges to Kansas might be a bit *excessive*.¹

1 - 10 of 10 Posts