Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I recently had to replace my column when I upgraded to the Borgeson steering box on my 1967 Mustang. Everything went in smoothly and works fantastic. But - I've noticed a draft coming from the column right where the steering column brace wraps around the column. See pic.

Why am I getting a draft coming up there when I drive now, and it never used to do that? Is there likely some gasket in the column something that could be missing that normally prevents a draft from coming up?

Most importantly - any idea how to fix? Ideally, I'd like a better solution than duct tape. :)

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
I believe there is a gasket/seal around the steering shaft , where it exits the column in the engine compartment. I have heard people using something like a 1” chunk of pipe insulation.

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
A hole in the bottom of the cowl due to rust/corrosion could make that happen too. Inspect that, check that both the large (inside the car at floor) column grommet and the column/firewall seal are intact. Check your fresh air vent opens/closes properly.

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
If you determine that its coming from your steering column, a cv boot of the appropriate size should seal it off.

·
Premium Member
11,772 Posts
Are you missing this:

Seals the end of the shaft and the column. You are stuck pulling your column to install it.
That was used on the long shaft steering boxes only. Late 67's got the short shaft steering box. I can't look at his photo and tell which one he has.

·
Premium Member
11,772 Posts
You have a rag joint so you do not have the long shaft box. But Ford power steering boxes do not have any internal hydraulics so you don't have a Ford steering box either.

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
I have to say I've never seen the column tube cut at that angle either. Gonna be tough sealing that up.

·
Registered
838 Posts
That looks like a nice velocity stack just wanting to ram air up the steering column. You can probably get some pipe foam, open up the slit, slide it on, and push it up the tube. Better than nothing.

Also I see that the Wilwood MC brake warning switch isn't hooked up. The factory wire is just hanging there. Would need to determine if the Wilwood provided switch opens or closes when there is a problem, but once you know that you can probably modify the wiring and hook it up.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts