Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a side note to the previous discussion re NOS vs. repro parts, why don't companies just make the repro parts better and sell them for a little more money? I think most of us would buy repros if they were better quality. It can't be that hard to make a better product, can it? Any thoughts?

1967 Fastback, 289, C-code, AT, PS,
motorsport intake and valve covers, Edelbrock 4V, cam - otherwise stock
dark moss green, parchment interior,
GT rear valance and tips

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I agree, I would also pay more for better parts. I just dont know why some of the parts are crap. Must be due to inital tooling cost.

John
Can you smellllllllalalalala........?
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1589508&a=12100931&p=43885808.jpg
[color:blue]66 coupe 289 2v C4 needs restore</font color=blue>
[color:blue]70 coupe 351W 2v c4 almost done (?)</font color=blue>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why don't you ask Taiwan that!!! hehehe

65 coupe 302
(rebuilding a 351W)

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Well...Ford had to warranty the car for 2 years, so they naturally had an interest in making some stuff last. Having said that, I've found some repro parts to be of equal quality to the OEM versions. Most of the current repro stuff is made in Taiwan, not exactly a hotbed of modern manufacturing. If you stick with some of the better brands (I like Scott Drake, for instance), you'll get more consistent quality. In general, stuff made here in the US would be prohibitively expensive. Would you pay $400 for a fender or bumper? Most of us could not afford to.

Glenn Morgan: 66 GT V-Burgundy Fastback 351w+toploader+9 in. TracLoc. Started out as a rusted-out Chicago-area crusher. After sacrificing a solid 66 coupe for its s

·
Registered
708 Posts
I would gladly pay a bit more for a decent repro part. Though I must admit that I have bought some that were hard to distinguish from the original both in fit and quality. I guess you also have to be a bit lucky when buying repro stuff.

Why they don't make them better?? To make a quick buck from our beloved hobby gone insane. I don't know for sure, but I can imagine that the repro parts that have been around from the time that restoring Mustangs was not so popular were of better quality. Now they are produced on a larger scale, that alone can count for lower quality....

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Columbo
http://members.brabant.chello.nl/a.schroeders/Columbo66.jpg http://members.brabant.chello.nl/a.schroeders/Columbo66_2.jpg
First time rolling restoration, 66 289 nearing completion.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Here's the deal, let's take a fender for example. 35 years ago, Ford spent a fortune on the tooling to make that fender out of good old heavy american steel. Because 1,500,000 Stangs used that fenders, cost per fender was cheap. Today, an NOS fender (if it can be found) was made on that same tool using that good steel.

Along comes Company X that wants to serve the aftermarket. They project that they'll sell 10,000 fenders. Amortized out, they certainly can't afford to do tooling like Ford did. They go off-shore for the tooling. This tooling is designed around the grades of sheet steel available off-shore, which is inferior to the original Ford steel. Also, they have to reverse engineer the fender to develop the tooling. Tolerances and measurement errors result in an inferior fit.

Bottom line, the aftermarket doesn't have nearly the volume to support decent tooling and materials at an affordable price.

DanM
66 Coupe, check her out at http://www.66CoupeNW.stangnet.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Great explanation, Dan. Sounds like it is a combination of technological and economic limitations that dictate quality. If some manufacturer in the US were to go back into the business of producing fenders (for example) to the original standards and assuming the lower volumes they could reasonably expect, the cost would be very high and most of us couldn't/wouldn't buy them.

Glenn Morgan: 66 GT V-Burgundy Fastback 351w+toploader+9 in. TracLoc. Started out as a rusted-out Chicago-area crusher. After sacrificing a solid 66 coupe for its sheetmetal sub-assemblies, I have one solid (and expensive) work in progress!

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
... Original Ford fenders were delivered to 3 different Ford plants. No middlemen, no mark-up, cheap shipping/distribution costs.

Company X has to market their cheap repro fenders to every Mom&Pop Stang supply house in the world. They're scattered all over the globe in shipping, warehousing and distribution, with each middleman taking a cut of the pie. I'd guess that if Company X wants to retail a fender for $150, they probably need to be able to produce it for under $50!

DanM
66 Coupe, check her out at http://www.66CoupeNW.stangnet.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I remember having a conversation with someone about Goodmark, who
used to make real nice quality repro stuff but quit - it seems that, according to them, they couldn't sell any of their stuff because Mustang owners deciding between a $200 goodmark fender and a $150 asian fender would 95% of the time go for the cheap metal.

Visit my repair page for Repair info, with pictures! http://home.dencity.com/mustangcub

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
That is rather unfortunate, I had one of those Made in ROC fenders and will never go down that road again. Repair old or Good used!

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another explanation (similar to above):

In general, lower quality manufacturers looking for work to "fill up the plant" are more likely to take on low-volume reproduction work than the higher quality manufacturers who can cherry-pick the more attractive, high-volume work.

Cecil Bozarth

1966 GT Coupe (Tahoe Turquoise with black pony interior)

1994 GT Convertible

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I know cars being bought for just OEM parts. Buy a cheap six and rip all Ford components off it. And scrap the remains or give it to someone. Unfortunately this route will diminish the herd.

Door handle first when cornering

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I understand that repro body parts can be iffy, but what about repro interior parts? Is there a large problem with these also?

I'm new to restoring...when I was in highschool I replaced the interior door panels and arm rests...the chrome peeled off the plastic in less than 6 months...but I probably bought cheepest I could find in a JC whitney catalog.

When replacing interior parts...Scott Drake parts would do just fine, right? As for exterior...I'll take my bodyshops advice there....I'm not doing any of the body/frame work.

rock

66 Mustang Coupe (C Code) 3-spd, 289, 2v, Vintage Burgundy/Black, Factory Air, WORK IN PROGRESS

1 - 14 of 14 Posts