Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Why can't I make a decision?!

2K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  CJM68GT390 
#1 · (Edited)
It seems like EVERY decision I need to make with my car is an extensive research project....

Took me days to research and select a water pump, a water pump!... and I still haven't purchased a thermostat :0

Now I'm onto the engine compartment paint... and I'm exhausted!

My son told me a few days ago, "would you please just buy some paint!"

We'll I would, but there's a lotta options and I need a new gun unless we rattle bomb... and guns need to be researched!

Maybe it's because I'm trying to do things correctly, as best we can and still keep an eye on the costs.

I'm hoping more of these decisions will come easier and without so much effort, the car is going to be a driver.... I'm driving myself crazy!

Is it just me?... or can anyone relate?

#3 ·
I ran into that problem with my first resto as well as the first house I remodeled. I didn't know exactly how to do something so I would spend 4 days doing something that should only take a day by trying to make it perfect. Sometimes you have to think like a contractor and say "That's good enough". It's not always applicable, but a lot of times it'll keep things moving. One aspect of a quality job is actually just finishing it.

#7 ·
Not sure there is such a thing as "doing it right". There is only "doing it like the factory" and "doing it differently than the factory". Most times the factory way is better....but certainly not always....paint being a prime example.

#14 ·
See the Post about "Previous Owners" or PO, I would beg to differ on this statement, there area CLEARLY WRONG ways to do things! ;o)

WIth respect to paint, I found NAPA Rattle cans are awsome. They have a satin then a satin that is a little more towards gloss, I tried both and went for the glossier one. Nice spray pattern, holding up VERY well...

#16 ·
OCDing about every single aspect is part of the fun! That's why no project is ever finished and nobody ever had only one.

#18 ·
I know the feeling. I'm on my 3d day of researching for an AFR gauge to buy so I can tune the carbs on my 289. I find something I'm interested in, start googling, read the reviews (after putting them in order of when they were submitted), and when I see too much negative stuff, go to the next one, and then the next one....

#20 ·
That's the blessing and curse of Google!! I also tend to get totally paralyzed by indecision, frequently to the point where so much time passes that I forget about it. Probably some of you have noticed this over the years - I know that I notice it, when I get interested in some modification and start searching the forums only to find MY OWN POST about the exact same subject time-stamped a year or two prior! As an example - I finally decided to go with rear discs this year, and FINALLY bought the kit last month. My forum searching turned up three separate threads by yours truly about the subject, spaced over 4 years. It's a wonder I can get out of my own way sometimes.

One thing I have learned though is that whatever part I buy, it doesn't really matter how much research I've done... either it's the wrong part, or it's the right part and it's terribly manufactured and I have to send it back anyways. It is truly incredible how many parts go onto Jane and then come right back off. I've considered trying animal sacrifice prior to parts installs to see if I can improve my odds, but I'm afraid my neighbors would be concerned about the volume of blood seeping out from under the garage door :oops:

Reactions: Thegundog
#22 ·
Beautifully written, just wonderful! Are you interested in my neighbor's rooster?
I went through the same conflicted mind-set when I upgraded my suspension. So many options - and opinions!
Reminds me of a piece I read about post-Cold War Russia. The Russians were use to going to the store to get normal stuff - such as bread, etc. - and having only one product. When capitalism came to town along with its multitude of options the Russian people had trouble making what we consider to be simple decisions: white, whole wheat, rye, etc. I once went to the store with instructions to get vanilla ice cream; do you know how many variations there are of vanilla ice cream?!

Reactions: Thegundog
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.