Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I finally got my ignition , carb, and vacuum situation fixed , the thing runs and idles nice now. I take it for my first test drive and the thing won't even move! I put the car in gear and I have to rev it to about 3000 rpm and then the thing surges forward and smokes the tires. I can just sit there in drive and rev the engine and it wont go anywere!! Once I get it moving it runs average. Also, When I had my 302 in the car, when I went from PARK to DRIVE the RPM would drop a little and the car would surge forwar alittle. When I go through every gear from park you cant even tell I switched gears. I Also put fluid to full. The torque converter is stock. Theres no way I can use this car on the street. I recently did a 351 2v swap from a 302 and the tranny / torque converter lined up alright. I dont know anything about trannys but is there any kind of vacuum hose that needs to be hooked up from the tranny? Its a c4 btw. Could it be a vauum problem? Do I have to troque the converter bolts to a certain lb? I just kind of tightened them as much as I could. thing I also changed A tranny cooler line when I broke one durning the swap. I kind of riged in a differnt spot than the old one. It should still work right? My car is a 72 351 Clev 2v , c4 auto. Please help me, im desperate and I don't want to have to take it to a tranny shop.

·
Registered
168 Posts
It sound like you are low on fluid. Are you sure you got enough fluid in the torque converter/transmission? I can't remember the exact amount but it takes a LOT to fill both. Maybe someone will have other ideas too.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
1> YES there is a vacuum hose you need to hook up. It goes from the tree on the firewall to a small metal tube that should be right below the tree attached to the trans. I controls one of the servo's. The tube then runs along the Pass side of trans, to the back and plugs in by the trans mount on the pass side.
2. When cheking trans fluid vehicle should be a operating temp. Slowly shift the vehicle through all gears with engine running. Then recheck fluid. Keep doing this till it reads full.
Hope it solves your problem.

P.S. I have seen a million routing of cooler lines. as long as they do not leak or touch anything, expecially hot they should work fine.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
yes you need the vacuum hose that goes from one of the fittings in the intake to the tranny. It plugs in to the The name of the part escapes me at the moment, seinor moment.
It is at the back of the tranny it is obvious wne you see it it has a fitting for the vacuum hose to go on. It may be there all ready you may just have to plug it into the intake vacuum.
Some one else will have it right for you

·
Registered
467 Posts
Yeap, maybe the tranny,, right, it takes a lot of oil to make the converter not just the pan, maybe 8 quarts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
modulator valve. The vacuum line runs to the modulator valve on the trans. Without the vacuum line, I don't think the car will autoshift. AS for the not going when put into park, that sounds like torque converter and fluid level, combined with no vacuum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts