Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's another one of those lessons learned the hard way. A little less than a year ago, I bought an enclosed car hauler from Haulmark. This past July 4th weekend I took one of the toys on a trip. This is only the second time that I have used the trailer. Due to a shortcoming in the awning frame, a minor breeze caused the awning to do a "fly-over". I contacted the manufacturer about filing a warranty claim. They filled me in and I paid a visit to the closest local dealer. Their first question was whether or not I had bought the trailer from them, which I hadn't. Since I hadn't, their policy in dealing with this manufacturer is that warranty claims are paid by the customer and it is then my responsibility to collect from the manufacturer. In curiousity, I checked with the other dealer in the vicinity. Their policy is even MORE restrictive. Even if I had bought the trailer from them, I would havve had to sign a waiver that allows the dealer the right to refuse to perform warranty work. The lesson here is to be sure you check into the warranty support in your area before you buy, it may affect your decision..........it sure would have influenced mine. My appointment with the dealer is tomorrow, so the jury is still out. I hope that I will be pleasantly surprised, but I don't think that is going to happen.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have an enclosed trailer and the fiberglass cap cracked about 2 months after the warranty expired. When I purchased the trailer the dealer said he would take care of any problems. I called him and explained what happened and he said to bring it in. He looked at it and said it was a stress crack and replaced it free of charge. When making a major purchase, ask questions and alot of them, feel out the dealer, it may pay in the long run. Guess where I will go to purchase another trailer if I need one.....Daryl

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
I'll tell you why you didn't think of that! For the same reason I never would have.

It is because first of all you don't think anything will happen to whatever you buy, so basically you don't ever plan on using your warranty. Then you think that any dealer can service the national product.

That is where the mistake is made. You assume that the dealership will help you because of the "Customer Service" relationship he should have with customers. Well, lately, there is no customer service relationship or loyality with just about anything. Once they have your money, then that door slams shut. If the local delarship can't make $1 from you, then chances are they won't help you. It used to mean something but not much anymore.

I know that there are good dealerships out there, but that is the exception rather than the rule.

On a side note, Haulmark goes out to racetracks occasionally. If you have any problem at all with your Haulmark trailer, they will fix it right there, on the spot. They don't care how old it is or if you are the 5th owner...It is fixed free of charge! They have also been known to fix other brands, too....

So, it is more of a dealership thing, rather than a manufacturer thing....

Gary.......::

1 - 4 of 4 Posts