Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been putting on some new seat covers. I started the first seat a while ago and had soooo much fun, I put the rest off until I absolutely needed it done. well, I did another seat and finally figured out what to do with all the wires to make it look right. The first one didn`t look too bad, but is not going to look too good next to this one :(
Guess I have to take it apart and start over again with that one ::
Did I mention the blisters and my fingertips are numb from pulling and pushing? I guess it would have been worth the $500.00 a local place wanted to install it.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Nick and I had high hopes of redoing our seats ourselfs. We we putting in all the hours making the interior look good and we figured out if we did the seat ourselves it might not look so nice. There is a Guy ant NPD in MI that did ours for $225. He did a great job and we did not have to buy the supplies to put them on...he even sprayed the bottoms with black rustolium (sp?) Sorry about the pain and suffering you are enduring. I'm sure they will look great when you are done. Dawn

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I guess it would have been worth the $500.00 a local place wanted to install it.
but then you couldn't say "Oh yeah, I did the interior too!" ::

·
Registered
446 Posts
we were going to attempt the Mach's seats ourselves as well. Then we started to tear them apart, then we found three or four little bars that need to be transplanted and hog ringed.

So we brought them to California Auto Upholstery and had them done. Best decision ever. Look great, and no stress. They turned out great, anyone who wants upholstery in the Redwood City area go there. Get my highest regards.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
New upholstery set. $150 (on sale)
Sore hands for days...busted knuckles and forearms aching. $0
Hog nose pliers and rings $30
Money saved recovering your seats yourself......$500
Having the "local" Mustang guru compliment how nice your interior is and where did you take it to have it done...and in a non chalant attitude..."Oh I did that myself" PRICELESS!

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I concur with BLISTIC. The look on other's faces when you tell them you did it yourself = Priceless

New seat buns add a new level of gouges/scars not previously seen...

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
It is a tough job, and probably worth $500 if done right. I decided to do my own, not because it was so exspensive, but because I wasn't sure I could get anyone else to take the time to fix any minor things that they might discover.

It took almost a month, working in spare time, but it was worth it. Although I didn't do a perfect job, my new carpet, door panels and seats look good enough for any show, and I can take all the credit. Most people are amazed when I tell them I did it myself.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I agree totally. I thought I did a good job on my drivers side seat - until I finished the passengers seat. Found out that you have to pull the wires down and hog ring to the springs to make the bolsters really stand out! So yeah - pull the first one apart and fix it. That's what I did.

And I agree - my neighbors think I'm a genius! Two years of welding and sanding and wrenching to reconstruct a junk car and nobody was impressed. 3 days of pulling, stretching, heating and hogringing vinyly seat covers over newly cleaned and painted frames and they all think that's impressive!

Go figure!

;)

Frank

1 - 8 of 8 Posts