Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been debating what wheels I want since I bought the car. 65 fastback, vintage burgundy. I initially put 15x7 styled steel wheels and 215/60-15s. Liked the look but didn't like gap around the rear wheels and since I had already lowered it 2" I decided to try 245/60-15s out back. LOVED that, but lips were unrolled and I got some scrub now and then. Flash forward and I have had the body redone and painted and fenders rolled flat front and rear. After much mental struggle, I've decided on 16x8 all around because I don't like 17 or up and I like some rubber sidewall. More sidewall than 17s provide. Personal preference. So.....still fighting my inner demons over what type wheel I want. I love the Torque Thrust look with the charcoal spokes and polished rims. That was most likely going to be my path, but since there are SO many of those, I am starting to lean towards Minilites. Thing is, remember my inner demons, I don't want solid aluminum looking Minilites. I want charcoal spokes/center with polished rims. I have found these in 17s, but have not been able to locate them in 16s. I guess I can paint up my own, but would like to buy them ready made.

Anything out there that I have missed??

·
Registered
560 Posts
I've been working through somewhat the same issue. I sold my 17 inch TTIIs a few months back because I wanted to go away from the polished look. I'm also looking for a gray/cast inner and polished rim. As much as I've looked at various pictures, I just keep coming back to the same thing...there's just not a consistently better looking wheel than a Torque Thrust on a vintage Mustang, IMO. I also don't love how common it is, but I guess it's popular for a reason. I have to run 17s because of my big disc brakes, but I agree 16s look great on our cars. Good luck with whatever you choose, but I do feel the Minilites are a more unique look that not every car can pull off.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
These guys can probably make what ever wheel you want. I used their halibrand style for the wheels on my FFR Cobra, they are made in the USA near Oakland, CA.

·
Premium Member
5,935 Posts
I say if you can't find what you want, make some what you want. By the time I finally decided what wheels I wanted it was nearly too late, Cragar had discontinued the Eliminator 500 a few years prior and the pickings were slim in the size and color I wanted. I wanted the black centers but all I could find still for sale were either gray or polished. I ended up buying eight total (some of each) and painting them myself. The paint has held up perfectly so far. A mundane process to do them all but I'm happy I did.
Here's a pic of the first batch of four:

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
A buddy painted the spokes of his TTD body color (Ivy green). I liked the look of that and painted the normally black portion of my painted Magnum 500 wheels body color (burgundy). I like the way it ties the wheel to the car.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I agree with John Persons on Team III wheels. They made my 18 inch minilight looks wheels. Quality wheels and a great company to work with, but as said above, get your wallet out. They have some stock sizes that are more reasonably priced, but once you need custom backspacing and widths, price jumps quite a bit.
I know the larger wheels take time to get used to, I like my 18s. Even in 17 inch sizes, good performance tires are getting harder to find, 18 inch sizes seem to be where manufacturers are still making a good selection of performance tires.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tire choices may be limited in 16s, Wide 16s can scrub on the uca
Will have to measure everything extensively, since no two Mustangs seem to be the same, but here is what the wheel site says...and I have the Arning drop.

specs.png

1 - 14 of 14 Posts