3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm guilty of it too. Think of all the times you've seen thread titles like:

"67 Fastback floor mats"
or
"1965 Convertible Tail Lights"
or
"69 Coupe shifter options"

Why do we include body style on threads that have no bearing on roof configuration? I can't explain it, but I noticed it, so I thought I would torture you guys with this newfound enlightenment too. >:)

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Hypothetically speaking the additional descriptive factors introduced into the body of a sentence do nothing more than to inform the reader of the exacting facts of the given scenario rather than let them assume the particular item in question is actually not what they thought, but rather what the instigating informant said it to be, over descriptively speaking anyway....

·
Dimples
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hypothetically speaking the additional descriptive factors introduced into the body of a sentence do nothing more than to inform the reader of the exacting facts of the given scenario rather than let them assume the particular item in question is actually not what they thought, but rather what the instigating informant said it to be, over descriptively speaking anyway....
Hah! This reads like stereo instructions.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
How bout under describing? Like got a question on length of water pump bolt.

The poster is 10 year member, 1000 posts all replies, no about info, no mention of car.

I'm an over replyer. Poster forgets to mention specific carI go to poster's profile shows only statistics, no post mentioning car year or model! Or no mention of location even vague like midwest but needs something large shipped to him orwould need to inspect.

·
Administrator
19,765 Posts
Perhaps people are used to trying to buy parts at the local chain parts store where you have to deal with "two or four door? straight drive or automatic? two wheel or four wheel drive?" just to get a taillight bulb or something.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I'm guilty of both over & under describing.

:deadhorse:

some winners in under describing "help" "wire" "leak"

I don't get why some folks can't at least put some details in their sig. I think we're all guilty at sometime of not giving enough info to get any good advise, or writing 6 paragraphs in one long paragraph by the time you read it you've forgotten what the question is.

There's plenty of threads that take 20-30 posts just to find out year, engine, oem or aftermarket parts that totally changes any answer.

Bob

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I think I describe perfectly until somebody asks me a question and I suddenly realize that I hadn't.

·
Dimples
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think we're all used to throwing a lot of information out there in fear of under-describing. Plus, to a degree, our identities are tied up in this stuff and I think many of us kind of self-sort into coupe crew, fastback fans and/or convertible kids.

I personally like 'em all and would love to have one of each. (one day...)

Instructions these days are just pictures. Can't remember the last time I saw written instructions for something.
I guess, but you get the idea. I did read instructions just yesterday on the RIT fabric dye packaging so my fold down seat carpet is nice and black again. :smile2:

·
Premium Member
10,033 Posts
The one (or many) that kill me are the second posts of a thread and the post quotes the entire original thread. WHY???
X1000!:thumbsup:

I hate it when somebody posts a thread with 5 or 6 photos and text in between the photos and then somebody else comes along and QUOTES the whole damn thing and adds their reply- "Nice car".
Jiminy Christmas people! Don't you know how to use the CUT or DELETE button? I've already seen those photos once so I don't need to see them again! Get a life!

·
Premium Member
5,768 Posts
X1000!:thumbsup:

I hate it when somebody posts a thread with 5 or 6 photos and text in between the photos and then somebody else comes along and QUOTES the whole damn thing and adds their reply- "Nice car".
Jiminy Christmas people! Don't you know how to use the CUT or DELETE button? I've already seen those photos once so I don't need to see them again! Get a life!
Nice rant! :wink:

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I am more annoyed by people answering threads without answering the question. I am going through this now on a boat forum where I asked where I could buy s high output alternator, and instead of answering the question, I have nothing but responses telling me I don’t need one. I have 2000 watts of stereo. I need one so just answer my question.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts