Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process cleaning up my engine bay and wanted to move the PCV valve to the rear of the carb like I have seen others do. So I called edelbrock tech support an the youngster told me that the two ports could not be interchanged but could not elaborate. I'm someone on can shed a little light on it for me/us.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm hoping someone on here can shed some knowledge.

Thanks,

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
I'm hoping someone on here can shed some knowledge.

Thanks,

I would call them back and challenge the answer. If nothing else, test the tech's knowledge of his product.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No worries guys, I searched archives and found that I need to run a ford carb spacer with pcv port on it to the back.

·
Registered
10,266 Posts
Edelbrock has held this position since they first introduced their carburetors back in the 1980s. However, the actual position is they recommend using the front port. It's not that you can't use the rear port for PCV. However, I've never seen or heard an actual reason as to why. I have talked to many people who used the rear port for PCV and it worked fine.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I'm confused here! In your first post, you reference two vacuum ports on your carb that are not interchangeable (according to Edelbrock). If your carb already has the manifold vacuum port on the back, why would you need a spacer with another rear facing vacuum port?

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,307 Posts
I'd probably just drill and tap the intake for the port if I really wanted in the back.

·
Registered
10,984 Posts
the rear port is easiest to use for power brakes (if your into that sorta thing) By using the front port for PCV the primaries help keep that gunk from building up vs waiting for the 2nd aries to do it

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I use the rear port on the carb/efi for PCV and the tapped hole at the rear of the intake manifold for my power brake booster vacuum source.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I am not sure how vaccum would be much different b/t ports a few inches away from each other. I'd say use it without hesitation. If you are unsure, put a vaccum gauge on the front, then the rear, if they are the same (and I would guess identical) then I'd not hesitate.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,307 Posts
My wife got real mad last time i used the rear port....

Reactions: dh_66_fastback

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,307 Posts

·
Registered
21,023 Posts
You're not flowing air with the booster, it's dead ended. Hooking up to something like a PCV you're now flowing air, basically to the carb at that point, you've created a vacuum leak which very well might effect the metering circuit.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Please refer to post #7!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm asking guys who have knowledge, if you have no knowledge please don't respond.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts