Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am tired of replacing that dang axle bearing. Every two years or so the RR axle bearing starts to groan and I have to replace it. I have always used the SKF bearings not the cheapo ones. And it is always the passengers side, never the drivers side (do my passengers need to lose some weight????....... don't tell the GF I said that :: ;)).

I talked with the machine shop guy today about my 2 year axle bearing replacement schedule and he said to check a few things:
- Is the axle housing bent? Not that I could tell visually looking through it, seems straight as an arrow.
- Is the bearing seat worn out so that the bearing race has room to move and wiggle? Nope, good and tight.
- Bent axle? Also visually looks straight to me (and to the machine shop guy).

So any other ideas? The fact that it last 2 years before it starts to groan makes this problem that much more weird. AND it is only that one side, never the drivers side. I don't light up that RR tire either, tires cost too much to be doing that ;). This problem intrigues me to say the least.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
If you are doing it visually you are wasting your time. Most rear end shops have a long bar the goes through the whole housing and will tell you if housing is bent. Axle should be put on centers which any knowledgable machine shop could do to check straightness. Gary

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
try using a Bower BCA bearing this time

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
If you are doing it visually you are wasting your time. Most rear end shops have a long bar the goes through the whole housing and will tell you if housing is bent. Axle should be put on centers which any knowledgable machine shop could do to check straightness. Gary
This guy is right on the money! No way can you tell just by looking at it. Stock housings are usually not very straight like after market housings are, but yours could be a little farther out of tol. Even if you had the housing out no way could you tell if the bearing centers are out .030. I'm sure thats what your problem is, call and talk to someone that builds these things for a living. They will point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Have a shop put a mandrel through the housing to check it for straightness. I use the same rig I use to weld on bearing ends.

Spin the axle up between centers in a lathe and dial indicate the bearing area. A bent axle can be straightened, if not too bad, by someone who knows how.

Use Timken bearings.

I've done plenty of housings (for customers) over the years and this has always worked for me.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Axle bearings and seals need to be lubricated by the gear oil in the rear end.

You obviously don't take your left hand turns fast enough to lube your bearing.

You should see a psychiatrist about your inhibitions...

Then go change your bearing and seal... :: :: ::

And not with one of those cheap Kragen SKF bearings either...

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Eh, that was a joke, right. Bearings are lubed with grease for life. When your bearing seal (or was it plate) fails, gear oil will flush the grease into brakes and bearing will fail eventually. The failure can come from a blocked rear axle vent, for example.

Dave, have you checked the bearings that are taken off and compared them to new ones. When I had the grease flush out, the bearing that had lost grease felt used, "rumbling" in hand whereas the one with grease felt like a new one. Have you used new seals and plates to prevent flushing?

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Quote from M+ site:

" Our Mustang’s rear wheel bearings are what’s called a “sealed bearing”. Sealed bearings are used in many places on our Mustangs besides the rear wheel bearings. Bearings for accessories such as alternators, air conditioning pulleys, and heater motors are good examples of sealed bearings. What this means is that the bearing and the grease the bearing needs to keep it lubricated during use are all sealed together as a unit. You never have to service it. If, for some reason, it loses its lubrication, you simply replace it.
------------------------------------------------------------

This brings up an interesting point. Many people are under the wrong concept about how the rear wheel bearings are lubricated. They assume that the gear oil from the rear end also lubricates the rear wheel bearings.
This is not true. The axle housing has a grease seal in each axle tube. The axle itself has a machined journal for this seal to ride on. The purpose of this seal is to keep the gear oil from getting into the area where the rear wheel bearing rides. But many people are confused because Ford uses rear axle flange gaskets for the axle retainers."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts