Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the 'stang out of winter storage today and one of my problems from last year is still with me so I'm going to try & fix it. About every 5th time or so I go to crank the car the starter motor turns over incredibly slow, like its being held back by something. When it happens I may have to hold the key in the start position for 20 seconds or so just to keep it turning & hoping it might fire. Most of the time it turns over fast & fires right up. I don't think this is a battery related issue, it had a battery with a fresh charge in it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
Bad connection, but i'd test the battery too. And is this after it's been driven a bit? Because then it could be heat soaked.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I used to have that problem with my coupe. The problem was usually when I had driven for a while, and the starter was hot, like Johnny K said above.

My connections were fine, and the battery was fine as well, holding a charge perfectly.

Replaced the starter with a rebuilt unit and never looked back. If you check your connections and find nothing wrong, I'd suggest something like that.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
only time ive had this problem on a ford the problem turned out to be a dirty ground connection and would only happen after engine was warm,would have to let it cool for about 10 minutes for it to crank fast enough to start engine. wes

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I changed from the stock battery cables to 2 gauge cables (Auto Zone) and it really helped.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Maybe it is just tired some days? Just kidding replace the starter if your battery and connections are fine and you will be ok then.
Al

1 - 7 of 7 Posts