Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 c code 302 block with 289 internals and heads. (When the plant ran out of 289 blocks in 67 the 302 was implemented)So I noticed some wobble in my belt and narrowed it down to the crank pulley. I pulled the balancer.(had to use puller). Not much wear from the seal but from numbers seemed to be the original damper 馃槼 so replaced it with dorman 594-269. After cleaning shaft and lubricating. I placed the new damper on the about aligned the key and barely pressed on it with my hands. It slid all the way on and seated 馃槼馃槼. Although it's it was nice and easy I have anxiety that there was no need to PRESS the balancer on at all. I did not get a replacement key I used the original. That might be part of the issue. I also noticed the three mounting bolts for my 3 groove pulley are all different lengths... Would that cause an imbalance issue? Also only running alt, water pump, and crank. Single belt set up. Is that an issue with a 3 groove crank pulley? Too much unused pulley perhaps? Any input would be great thanks

Registered
I would try a different manufacture balancer. And 3 properly sized bolts. Dorman quality is hit or miss at best. Might give NPD a call.

Registered
Sounds like a poor quality balancer. Pioneer makes a great stockish style balancer that is inexpensive. With a single belt setup just get the correct pulley and the correct bolts.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like a poor quality balancer. Pioneer makes a great stockish style balancer that is inexpensive. With a single belt setup just get the correct pulley and the correct bolts.
Do you know the thread for the bolts off hand? At the auto parts store now. Don't have one on me and my car is in my shop out in the country

Registered
If you go to the correct pulley, hang on to that 3 groove pulley as anyone wanting to add power steering and a/c would need this. They鈥檙e quite popular.

Registered
I have a 67 c code 302 block with 289 internals and heads. (When the plant ran out of 289 blocks in 67 the 302 was implemented)
Quite true.
So I noticed some wobble in my belt and narrowed it down to the crank pulley. I pulled the balancer.(had to use puller). Not much wear from the seal but from numbers seemed to be the original damper 馃槼 so replaced it with Dorman 594-269.
Why would you replace a balancer that was still working? Two things to look for are deep grooves in the shaft where the seal rides, and disintegrating rubber on the ring. If both are OK, there's no need to replace.
After cleaning shaft and lubricating. I placed the new damper on the about aligned the key and barely pressed on it with my hands. It slid all the way on and seated 馃槼馃槼. Although it's it was nice and easy I have anxiety that there was no need to PRESS the balancer on at all.
"Snug" should do the trick. It's held on by the big center bolt.
I did not get a replacement key I used the original. That might be part of the issue.
No, the key does not hold the balancer on.
I also noticed the three mounting bolts for my 3 groove pulley are all different lengths... Would that cause an imbalance issue?
A very minor one, but I'd worry more that they weren't the correct hardness. Throw them away and get the right ones.
Also only running alt, water pump, and crank. Single belt set up. Is that an issue with a 3 groove crank pulley? Too much unused pulley perhaps? Any input would be great thanks
The 3-sheave pulley is a larger diameter, you must use the matching 2-sheave water pump pulley or they will overlap.

Registered
I've had balancers slide on by hand and some that needed some "coercing" to go on all the way. Many times a nice, warm balancer on a cold crankshaft will slide right on. What I WOULD worry about is when the balancer is all the way on is if there is "slop" from the worn key allowing the balancer to rock back and forth which will, eventually, shear the key off completely.

Registered
Quote:"After cleaning shaft and lubricating"

How was the shaft cleaned? Nothing abrasive? Just a thought..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts