Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I'd ask and see what you people think about this one. I just finished reading the post about why the senders don't cause fires and figured you guys might want to ponder this one.

And by the way, I am referring to the in-tank pumps that are 12 volts and are actually submerged in the fuel, cummutator sparks and all. And if it doesn't ignite when full, why doesn't it ignite if you run it empty?

I have yet to figure this out myself, but maybe someone out there has engineered these things and can give us an answer.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But have you ever taken one apart?

The one I took apart pumped the fuel in one end and then it went out the other. The fuel actually got pumped through the motor itself, commutator, brushes, windings, all the way through to the other end. Take apart an old inline fuel pump some day, and you will see what I am talking about.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's a weird concept, but I guess it works. I am glad I didn't have to be the first one to plug the motor in while it was submerged in fuel!

I guess gasoline really needs a lot of air to ignite, 14.7 to 1 ideally. This translates to about 18 cubic feet of air to burn 1 ounce of gasoline. That is a lot of air if you think about it.

Thanks all for humoring me. I have kinda always wondered why, and I could sorta figure it out, but it just seems unbelievable at times.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.