1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
As each year goes by, more people want a fastback and less cars surivive. ::

·
Registered
620 Posts
Supply and Demand. Not sure of production figures for '67 or '68 but in '66 Fastbacks were less than 6% of total production.
http://webpages.charter.net/tjfastback66/Picture%20009%20RS2.jpg

·
Registered
328 Posts
My guess is people thought they would wait for something better, well after 30 yrs of waiting ... what do you think would happen? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am with you. I have a friend looking 65/66 FB, and the quality of cars at the $20K price point has gone down dramatically over the past couple years. Even cars that need a lot of work are getting out of hand.

It must be supply and demand. I have also noticed that the early convertible prices seem to be coming down.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
because people like me want(ed) one
intense international demand
more cars being exported leaving less cars to be available here.
More cars being altered for Novelty purposes such as Eleanors therby drivingup the prices even for rot buckets.
Drive one and you will see why people want one.
They are sexy as all get out.
They have the best looking ass on any car (on the 67/68's)
Didn't make a whole hell of a lot of them in the first place
Took many years for them to become very desirable and hence the numbers have thinned appropriately. For a long time, parts were not readily available and so many got crushed or left to rot

I think the prices will continue to go up as restoration costs go up as well. Paint costs have skyrocketed, engine rebuilds have gone through the roof and labor costs have also hit record highs.

I bought mine for 16K and will put another 10-12K into it before its up to my standards. Sell? Nope, No Thanks

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Sort of like asking why is gas 2.60 a gallon because were willing to pay it. I think the deal is many of those with the most disposable income grew up wanting these muscle cars and either had one and had to sell it or never were able to put the money together to get one. Now there kids are grown or all most there at the height of there money making yeats so why not try and reclaim your youth.

Then there's the younger guys who just happen to like older cars or there dad had one or such and there just trying to put one together on a tight budget, IMHO these guys are the future or the kids of the older generation reclaiming there youth.

JMHO

Mark

·
Registered
180 Posts
I don't think fastback prices are going up too quickly now, considering that I bought mine in 2004 for about the same price ($15900) as NoLookingBack paid a few weeks ago. Or maybe I paid too much, but at least her body is straight, no rust repairs were needed, and she got me across the country during my first four days of ownership.

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
6% eh? No wonder everyone was yelling at me to fix this rust bucket up to factory original specs instead of customizing it. Too late! ::

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Yeah, in 66 there were more convertables produced than 2+2's

OBTW.... I have a friend w/66 C code 2+2 for sale. Red on black(standard), C-4, Grant wood wheel, Carb & alau intake, cowl floor replaced, basicly rust free. in NW Fla. asking $16k will probably deal, cash on hand....PM if interested

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I forgot about this, but a buddy was telling me that when he was like 12 back in the late 70's his job at his Dad's junk yard was to bust the windows out of the Fastbacks. They made great "cheap" dirt track cars!

·
7,014 Posts
Old mustangs are cheap compared to about anything you can think of except what they were selling for 10 years ago.

When you get away from anything for a while, you lose track of what just normal inflation does to prices. That happened to me recently when my 12 year old needed braces. I assumed they'd still be about $1000, like they were in 1980.

Imagine my surprise when I found out it was over $4000 now for the same thing. But, I digress.

Compare it to a new mustang, that's going to set you back $27K and you lose $5000 driving it off the lot. Old mustangs are cheap, and you'll likely never lose a dime on one you buy judiciously.

Phil

·
Premium Member
7,081 Posts
I have bought at least 10 65 - 68 Fastbacks for $300 or less. Course, it has been awhile. Has the price gone up since then?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Bob, I'll give you $500 for one of them. ;) Wait, never mind. Might not like what I get in return!!! :D

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
You wanna talk about inflation, a '71 Hemi Cuda went on the auction block in January and the bidding ended at $4,100,000 with a "reserve not met"!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree with everyone. I have only been out of the market for about 4-5 years and these cars have doubled since then. I have a friend that restores mustangs and he couldn't give away a 67 fastback 4 spd gt. Totally restored 5-6 years ago he only wanted 10k for it. He finally took it down to florida and sold it for 12k. That car would be worth 25-30 k in the condition it was in.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Supply and demand

Younger owners getting into the hobby (I bought my 68FB almost 3 years ago when I was 25)

Replacement parts being available

Media putting the hype on what is old is new again.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts