Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Personally I don't like MII kits that don't use struts. While I'm not an engineer it alway gave me the willies. Ford with all of their money and expertise put a strut on for a reason. I'm sure they would have done away with it if they thought could be widening the cross member or adding a spacer. To me, it looks like too much stress for the cross member to handle.

Yes I know there's going to be a lot of people who disagree with me and the failure could have been do to improper installation but I still don't like the lack of struts on this suspension design.

Here's the link http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/ifs-failure-tragic-results-127985.html

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
In this case it looks like the sleeve ripped right off the frame. All of the stress is directed on that sleeve. The two legs of the A Arm essentially form a strut, however there is nothing bolsterng the support at the ends of the A Arm. If it were me, at a minimum I'd add some additional supports that run from the the outer end of the A-Arm to the cross member. At least the A-Arms mounts would be in double shear, and the added support would help direct some the load to the center of the cross member.
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=25454
Link to picture...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Its hard to say what happened. The arm mount "could" have been ripped off when it buried it into the pavement. Without seeing the damage done to the arm, we can only assume that it tore the mount off.

Also, it says it was smooth road and all, but who knows if there was previous damage from something. It was stated that the owner bought the car done, and we can only guess if he was familure enough with cars in gerneral to spot a problem area if he were to do an inspection.

Me , I would look at adding to outer mounting points on the outside of the arms before I considered strut rods. I would think at that point it woud be more secure then the typical tube K member found in Fox body Mustangs.
If it REALLY is as big of a problem with stress, I would think that a strut rod would ADD stress to that spot just with the arch of motion as it travels up and down pushing and pulling. Two outside mounting points would add alot more strength were it needs it the most without adding any stress.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
From the pics it looks like a custom made a-arm set up that simply replaced the lower arm mount with a longer tube centered on the end of the crossmember in order to hang a more symetrical looking a-arm. The pre-made kits (i.e. Rod & Custom, Heidts) normally address this issue by leaving the stock lower arm mount in its stock location, but extend the tube forward with a gussett tied into the frame rail for additional support in order to replace the strut rod design with a lower a-arm. Either way, it's still not a very good compromise since it removes a load carrying joint at the front of the frame and combines it with another into 1 point on the chassis, but at least with the gussett support it's less prone to tear off the frame. All oem independant suspension designs I know of use 2 separate lower mounting points, whether a-arm or strut rod style. There has to be a reason the engineers did it that way on so many cars. I'm not a big fan of MII conversions anyway, this is just one of many reasons for my opinion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts