Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, one of my personal rules is to try and avoid giving out my personal contact info to someone I'm wanting to do a deal with on a forum and try to use the tools the forum provides for traceability sake and stuff like that. Well, broke my rule this week and it has kinda backfired...also kinda funny so I wanted to share. I recently contacted someone about buying some car parts off this site via conversation instead of replying to the post. The seller asked for my contact info so he could send me more pics of the items. So, I was excited about what he was selling and sent my email and cell number so he could text of email me the pics. We transferred a few text over the course of the week about the parts. When I got up this morning I noticed a missed call and voice mail from his number. Checked the message and it was him saying "I'm looking for sex, let me know if you are available." Odd thing was he identified himself in the voice mail as he had done in the text. Message was kinda rough sounding so I thought it may be some prank. The car warranty people are always calling from other peoples numbers, so why not this...right?! Well, the more I thought about it the more it bothered me, so I sent the guy a text and politely told him I wasn't interested in the parts he was selling. Got a reply, "OK, thanks anyhow" and that was it. Well, phone rang about 30 min's ago and it was his number. I answered...there was a pause and the guy on the other end asked if I had any girls available. Told him nope and that he had the wrong number and he hung up. Needless to say, I need to learn to stick to my own rules and shoulda made the guy send me the pics through the message on the forum vs giving up my info so willingly. Live and learn I suppose.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
So, one of my personal rules is to try and avoid giving out my personal contact info to someone I'm wanting to do a deal with on a forum and try to use the tools the forum provides for traceability sake and stuff like that. Well, broke my rule this week and it has kinda backfired...also kinda funny so I wanted to share. I recently contacted someone about buying some car parts off this site via conversation instead of replying to the post. The seller asked for my contact info so he could send me more pics of the items. So, I was excited about what he was selling and sent my email and cell number so he could text of email me the pics. We transferred a few text over the course of the week about the parts. When I got up this morning I noticed a missed call and voice mail from his number. Checked the message and it was him saying "I'm looking for sex, let me know if you are available." Odd thing was he identified himself in the voice mail as he had done in the text. Message was kinda rough sounding so I thought it may be some prank. The car warranty people are always calling from other peoples numbers, so why not this...right?! Well, the more I thought about it the more it bothered me, so I sent the guy a text and politely told him I wasn't interested in the parts he was selling. Got a reply, "OK, thanks anyhow" and that was it. Well, phone rang about 30 min's ago and it was his number. I answered...there was a pause and the guy on the other end asked if I had any girls available. Told him nope and that he had the wrong number and he hung up. Needless to say, I need to learn to stick to my own rules and shoulda made the guy send me the pics through the message on the forum vs giving up my info so willingly. Live and learn I suppose.
Are you sure it was actually the guy you contacted ? I'm sure they can spoof phone numbers just like they can use emails from your address book to make it look legit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure it was actually the guy you contacted ? I'm sure they can spoof phone numbers just like they can use emails from your address book to make it look legit.
Nope...can't be positive, that's why I'm not going to mention the users name on here in case it was a spoof. Don't want to mess up a guys good reputation if it's something like that. Although, I did find it quite coincidental that in the voice mail he left where he said he was available today and wants sex, he identified himself in the same unique way he did in the conversation I had with him on here when he initially asked for my contact info. There are so many ways hackers can impersonate folks these days, it's hard to know what is legit and what isn't. Just thought it was a funny story and wanted to share.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Yea, sorry about that. Kidding! I've been selling and buying a lot of stuff lately on the forum with zero issues with inappropriate behavior or getting paid for parts sold.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Needless to say, I need to learn to stick to my own rules and shoulda made the guy send me the pics through the message on the forum vs giving up my info so willingly. Live and learn I suppose.
Wonder what kind of pics would have been sent....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The guy called again yesterday. I recognized the number and let my wife answer the phone. He got all excited and started breathing heavy. He identified himself and asked her where she was located, she said "Riding in the car with my husband" He said "Oh, bye" and hung up. If he calls again, I will call the number back and see if it's the same person or if this guys number is being spoofed and someone is playing a cruel trick on him.

Wonder what kind of pics would have been sent....
He text me pic's but they were of actual car parts he had listed for sale.

·
Administrator
19,773 Posts
Some of the most outlandish VMF interaction I've ever heard of.

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
The guy called again yesterday. I recognized the number and let my wife answer the phone. He got all excited and started breathing heavy. He identified himself and asked her where she was located, she said "Riding in the car with my husband" He said "Oh, bye" and hung up. If he calls again, I will call the number back and see if it's the same person or if this guys number is being spoofed and someone is playing a cruel trick on him.

Very unlikely that his number is being spoofed. There is little to gain from it, not to mention the person seems to know details if I'm reading your posts correctly.

·
Registered
194 Posts

With my iPhone all I have to do is just block the number. Problem solved.

Allen

1 - 12 of 12 Posts