21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,773 Posts
Reactions: 665spd

·
Registered
847 Posts
So far, my issues have been fixing the padding on the floor console and headrests. No one makes either. The padding was fixed by an upholstery fellow. The headrests are going to require new seat backs (or entire seats), but that's still a work in progress.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I feel your pain. There are a lot more after market parts than 25 years ago when I was rebuilding mine. Lucky for, it’s a low optioned fastback.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If there is an obvious 68 bastard trait its the big red reflector mandate. Its almost like the designers were pissed off at DOT about it, and took one from thier kids Schwinn and stuck it on in protest. They gave the car a ZIT

·
Premium Member
1968 coupe, 1968 vert, 1966 coupe
695 Posts
If there is an obvious 68 bastard trait its the big red reflector mandate. Its almost like the designers were pissed off at DOT about it, and took one from thier kids Schwinn and stuck it on in protest. They gave the car a ZIT
They make the 68 quarter without the light! That’s what I did on my 68 looks much better

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
That rear marker is actually is sourced from Cougar, I prefer the pre strike marker but sure as hell am not replacing a quarter panel to be rid of it

·
Registered
847 Posts
Most EXCELLENT, I wouldn't remove it EVER! I have a "Nixon's the one" button - a slogan that both got him in and out...
Agnew was my county executive before he became governor. It was all the dirty stuff he did while head of the county that landed him in jail. Typical small-town paybacks.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Agnew was my county executive before he became governor. It was all the dirty stuff he did while head of the county that landed him in jail. Typical small-town paybacks.
Tin soldiers and Nixon coming
We're finally on our own
This summer I hear the drumming
Four dead in Ohio

One of my favorite Neil Young (and those other guys) songs. Pretty cool song even if you were born after it came out. Yeah I know it's Crosby Still and Nash.

You guys made me so glad I have a base coupe with a black interior! Wow. It was a cinch to restore, paint and everything. Now I just hope my new A/C will rescue me from the oven inferno that it becomes during any hot sunny day!

Speaking of uncommon 68' Parts have any of you ever seen this kind of rack? I just need the rubber inserts and maybe the chrome seats for them when I do a repaint. I know it's not 'factory' but I've seen similar pics for maybe one or two others from the 66 - 68 period.

Attachments

·
Administrator
19,476 Posts
I was at a car show back in 1983 and a guy offered me $500 for the floor console out of my coupe. Boy, I kept a close eye on my car after that!

Reactions: Bernnstang

·
Registered
654 Posts
I was at a car show back in 1983 and a guy offered me $500 for the floor console out of my coupe. Boy, I kept a close eye on my car after that!
That was nuts money back then. When I was little around that time my father bought, rebuilt the blown motor on, and then drove a late 70's or 1980 model Audi for less than that. One of my earlier memories is seeing the entire thing taken apart. Probably led to my Mustang addiction.

I've seen complete complete repro consoles for $1,200 - 2,000 ish dollars today.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I bought a 68 4-speed console at the Charlotte fair probably 15 years ago (which is why I now have a WTB ad up for console parts), took me hours of asking around and following leads to finally find the one, paid $600 for it, and had a guy try to buy it from me before I could get it out of the infield.

I'm originally from MD (Baltimore), so remember Agnew well.....fun days.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts