Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 68 coupe (289,auto,air) I have an 18" radiator. It looks stock. The air is factory (verified by Ford). I thought it should have the 20" radiator. I'm having cooling issues and was ready to install a fan shroud. I ordered a 24" because it was the only one CJ Pony parts had listed for a 68 with air, when it was too big I ordered the 20" shroud, now it's too big also(I should find my tape measure before ordering any more parts). My options are to return the latest shroud and get one for 65-66, hoping it will fit my larger 5-blade fan, or order a new radiator. My engine was just rebuilt and the builder installed a new radiator less than 500 miles ago so buying another radiator sucks. I wish I had known he was buying a new one, I would have gone aluminum or at least larger. Any and all comments are welcome. Thanks, Greg

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I had the same thing on my 67. Only a 18" rad. I replaced it with a 20" 3 row and I do not have any cooling problems.
I have no idea why there was a 18" rad in the car to start with.

·
Registered
1965 Coupe
2,754 Posts
yelostang is on the money. That is exactly what I have in my 68 w factory, in dash, air.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My car was in an accident in the late 60's or early 70's. I wonder if they replaced the radiator at that time. It's just strange that so many people seem to have the 18" rad in their cars. I guess my only option is to get a larger radiator and fan shroud. I have a 20" that came out of a 69 sportcoupe 8-9 years ago, maybe I'll have it checked out and try it to keep expenses low. I did find that my 20" fan shroud does not work on this radiator so it may not be the correct one. Does anyone know where the numbers are on a radiator?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.