Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm working on dropping my oil pan to inspect the motor and change oil pumps.

I drop out the cross member no problem.
I get all the oil pan bolts out, no problem, even working around the headers in 2 spots.
I go to drop the oil pan, ok the steering linkage is in the way...no problem...right?

Wrong.

I pull one tire the lugs are all way too tight but I managed to get it off, drop the tie rod and idler arm but I can get it to pivot out of the way...ok, so I'll just drop the pitman arm and it will drop out....

Move to the other side, with the IR impact on full the lugs won't come off, and now they are starting to show major wear after 1-2 minutes on each with the impact on full and still not spinning. I'm afraid i'm gonna round these suckers right off and then I will be really screwed.

Any advise on what I can do to break these loose?

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
We're talking lug nuts on the wheel, right? Manual labor-- socket, breaker bar with cheater bar extension (pipe).

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
one big ass breaker bar.did you use wd-40 first ::

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
make sure you are using a 6 point socket too. Im thinking this might do more harm than good, but you could always try heating them. if you do round one off, go to ace and get another nut to weld onto the lug nut to get it off... we had to do that on my buddys honda.

- Jason

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Impact wrench just doesn't have the "twist" of a 4 way or breaker bar...

I never use an air wrench on chrome lug nuts.... It'll hammer the chrome right off....

95 ft/lbs on lug nuts....Any more is useless and ruins parts!

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I worked around it.
I was trying to pull the tire to drop the center link (I needed more elbow room)

These tires were mounted by the place the did my alignment...I think they put them on a little tight ::

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
SLIGHTLY better than them putting them on too loose.......looking on the bright side here.

·
Registered
122 Posts
i agree with all the other posters. i have always had good luck with a good craftsman 6 point socket and a craftsman breaker bar. also, i have been using this great new penetrating oil. its called pb's penetrating catalyst, works faster and better than good old wd40. ive seen it at walmart, but i bought mine for a little more money at autozone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts