Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my rear diff bolted and the back of the car is sitting pretty high right now with the new leaf springs. Is this normal? Also does anyone know if I should torque everything down while the car is in the air, or when the weight is on the tires? I've forgotten in the past 5 years.
Thanks, Bob
P.S.-I know you guys are probably tired of hearing from me by now, but I can't help it! with the detailed(painted only) rear in and the gas tank put in place the back of the underside looks great! Now if I can only get the exhaust in and start it.
Next week, I guess.

Was Bob Emmerich on old forum<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by demmerich1 on 03/19/01 08:52 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Bob-- I am in the same boat as you My 70 mach is just a little more than a chassis right now (Fuel tank, electrical and dash stuff) and it sits very high right now. I posted a question about nine pages ago on this subject. Most feel the with the added weight of an interior and fuel will bring the rear end down a bit. Other people I have asked said that the rear leafs will settle a bit too when they get jounced around over the first couple hundred miles. I purchased the "correct" springs from NPD. If your weight is close you may want to check the Osborn Chassis assembly manuals. The 1970 version has the correct ride heights and where to measure. If mine does not sit where I want it to after "Break in", I will have them re-cambered.

Mark Memmer
70 Calypso Coral Mach 1 351C 4V Completed by 8/01
98 Cobra Convertible
93 5.0 Mustang LX (Winter Ride)
00 Volvo S80 (Wifes Ride)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since I am researching this now, I've found that you can always put blocks between the leafs and the axle - this way you can lower it a little without changing the springs.

Mike
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
New springs do need to settle. After a long time they sag which is why we all are replacing our rear springs now that our 'Stangs are over 30 years old. *G*

After you drive it a bit and have the car's full weight on it it should be at the correct height.

I've heard the car should be resting on it's wheels when you torque it to it's final spec.

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts