Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 60 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I don't know what the admins did but response time is a whole lot better and thank you.

·
Administrator
12,999 Posts

·
Administrator
19,411 Posts
Human nature. When everything's going fine no one really notices or says anything. One screwup and it seems like no one will shut up about it or forget it. Anyone who's ever held pretty much any job anywhere should be well aware of this phenomenon. :)

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
As, I guess, the chief complainer since I posted this, I was not technically complaining but simply reporting a problem. I did finally get back on today and expressed my many thanks for whatever they did to fix this.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I’m guilty on this one myself, but if they don’t know they can’t fix it.
At the scale they advertise being they should know well before we do and be able to rectify it. It is a free resource but we are the product. Without us no content, no clicks. If the owners are going to market the depth and scale of the site network they should be able back that up. If this were owned/run by an enthusiast community I'm more forgiving but for a company that purports to be as big as they are it's downright embarrassing. It would be the equivalent of going to SEMA claiming to be some sort of big time builder and not being able to get your cars to run well.

·
Super Moderator
8,854 Posts
How many are actually contributing to the board financially?

·
Super Moderator
8,724 Posts
No need for us all to get ruffled over this. Fact is some pay, some don’t...the service is the same across the board. When most things are bad, human nature has taught us to point it out at a minimum. Some of us can go overboard at times...me included. I can say I am also a member of other forums as I am sure most of us here are and it’s easy to compare reaction times of one forum to another. For me, I often compare this forum to the Toyota 4Runner forum I sometimes visit. I am a member there not because I am a 4Runner enthusiast, but rather I own an older one and it is the largest 4Runner forum on the Internet with over 275K actual members and likely thousands of posts each day. Whenever I have an issue with that piece..., I am guaranteed a response in what seems like seconds sometimes. The point is, that forum is much larger than VMF with many more members and probably 100 times more active. I can say I have never been on that site when a single page took longer than 3 seconds to load. Unfortunately, today’s technology has trained us to expect that same response regardless of which site we visit.

For those that are actually in charge here and if interested, that forum is powered by vBulletin and hosted on HiVelocity. Those may be competing companies to VMF owners, but it seems it may be worth a look into their technologies and how or if they can be utilized to make the users experiences here better. Just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
8,854 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
I don't think any of these hobby type boards were started with the intent to make money. Everyone wanted to cover their costs, many were started for the love of <blank>. I belong to another (Datsun Roadsters) and after 16 years and 3,000 members later, breaking even and keeping the hobby going is still the owners goal.

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
I find it interesting that now VMF is running Ok we’re not hearing from the complainers. Just saying.
Stan
It's running ok right now...how's that.

Oh and my dinner was cooked just right so I'm not complaining about it being burned.

Also, the air is breathable...

WTF...who complains when it's working like it should?

Let's see, thank you Ole VMF for providing me with a website that actually works...C'mon...

Allen

·
Registered
504 Posts
Yeah, what's up with those complainers not complaining when things are running like they're supposed to! What's up with that?!

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
It's running ok right now...how's that.

Oh and my dinner was cooked just right so I'm not complaining about it being burned.

Also, the air is breathable...

WTF...who complains when it's working like it should?

Let's see, thank you Ole VMF for providing me with a website that actually works...C'mon...

Allen
Hey... to be fair to Aslan, he got the opinion of one member and didn't hear anything for a couple hours before he posted his comment :idea: :roflao:

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
For those that are actually in charge here and if interested, that forum is powered by vBulletin and hosted on HiVelocity. Those may be competing companies to VMF owners, but it seems it may be worth a look into their technologies and how or if they can be utilized to make the users experiences here better. Just a thought.
It's not a technology issue. It's an implementation and business case issue. They have plenty of tech at their disposal if they choose to implement it.

It is a free resource and when it's down I do other things. For those want to know what the price of poker is to get something about this scale this going for services to do it on a monolithic format (8 vCPUs, 32 GB ram and enough storage) where you install and maintain all the parts it's $200-300 a month. You'd need moderate to advanced Linux server admin, database and a LAMP platform knowledge and know how to fix stuff when it breaks. To size it properly it's not so much how many users are on at one time as it is page views and concurrent database connections. Those are the two metrics that will drive response and performance.

There are less expensive options like hosted forums but you're lacking in either scale or flexibility. You'd still need the site moderators to do the things they do. And you wouldn't have the legacy content which drives the new people here in the first place. Given that, you wouldn't need to scale as large and the cost would come down considerably until you scaled up. But you'd still need the same skill sets and moderators. And hope enough people came to the forked site.

41 - 60 of 134 Posts