Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the valve cover and air cleaner? Are they not supposed to be painted? Mine is all rust covered and such, and I'd love to give it a fresh coat of Old Ford Blue like the rest of my engine. Any ideas? Is the exhaust manny too hot for paint?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
When the factory painted an engine, the over spray ws the only paint put on manifolds. The balance was left cast color. POR 15 (and others I'm sure), make a cast color product for the manifolds that is excellent. It's expensive, but effective.

65 Hi-Po F/B (7 yr resto)
67 GTA F/B (small block) Mustang Owners Club of Austin (MOCA), TX
MCA 27479

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help guys... I don't think a blue manny would look THAT bad... hehe

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"EXHAUST DETAILING KIT FACTORY GRAY
$ 24.99
Item-no 10132 Z
"
Is that what you would use?

G

·
0 Posts
I used a wire wheel on a drill to get most of the rust off of mine and a Dremel with a wire wheel to get at the small areas.

I then used high temp paint made for panting barbecues and stoves to paint them. It cost 2.99 at Home Depot.

If you're not going the stock look route this a cheap alternative than the specialty products. Paint your barbecue too while you're at it.

http://www.hurtle.com/cars/mustang/sig.gif
Please contribute to my Reproduction Parts Rating Site

G

·
0 Posts
But...whatever you do.. DON'T BARBECUE ON YOUR EXHAUST MANIFOLD!!!! Hee hee hee.
this safety tip provided by Captain Obvious;)

1968 Coupe, 6cyl Std, Bench Seat. Driven through 10 years of College.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts