Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since i have got my convertible back from being painted (i will provide pics once i can get a decent digital camera), a couple of things have slowed down the reassembly process. first, i discovered that my fairly new floorpans were not welded in! it turns out they just laid them in place and covered the seams with tar and then covered it with plastic. after scraping off the thick tar and plastic, i find that there are multiple holes and creases between the new and old metal that need to be filled in. the p.o. should be slapped for only laying new pans in and covering up the seams with tar. it makes no sense! next, i find that my car has no wiring for the fog lanps, yet the car was equipped with them. now, after purchasing all new fog light components, i find that there is no switch or wiring. why would someone have non-functioning fog lights?

anyway, i have got a couple of questions. first, does anyone know a way of removing tar from my floor? i seem to remember hearing that diesel fuel might work but i am not sure if that would be safe to weld near/on it. if anyone has experience with tar on floorpans, i would like to hear from you ::. and lastly, i have found that my car will not start in park. btw,i have a c4, but when i run through the gears while turning the key, it starts right up. does anyone know why my car wont start in park? thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Non functioning lights would have been just an image thing, or maybe they were planning on adding the wiring later....I have done that.
Varsol will soften tar and then it could be scraped. Just let it all dry before you go and start welding. Soak a rag in varsol and lay it over the tar, let it sit then scrape it.
You car shouldn't start in anything but park or neutral, sounds like the neutral saftey switch is either out of adjustment or worn out and needing replacement.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Are you sure it is tar and not an asphalt product? Asphalt will dissolve in a petroleum product like varsol, WD 40, etc. Tar will not dissolve. If you have a thick layer of either tar or asphalt, then I would heat it with a hair dryer then scrap off as much as possible before trying to clean up the residue. I run an asphalt lab and we use WD 40 to clean heated asphalt then Greased Lighting to clean up the residue.
"the p.o. should be slapped for only laying new pans in and covering up the seams with tar. it makes no sense!"

Yes, but why did you paint the car without investigating potential structural problems. Now you will need to be really careful with welding in those floor pans. I hope you do not find further structural problems.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Be careful when welding where the tar stuff has been. It will catch on fire easily! This is from the voice of experience... :: Get it all off, remove any other flammable stuff...good luck! ::

·
Registered
742 Posts
why would someone have non-functioning fog lights?
LOL I know a few people out there with non funtioning fog lights.

I think its mostly for the cool factor that the fog lights have...I think most folks will get arout to hooking them up!!!

I have even seen wireless kits so you don't even have to hook up a switch

http://www.autodirectsave.com/foglights.asp

1 - 5 of 5 Posts