Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone explain to me why people are willing to pay an extraordinary amount for "cars" which are, to a large extent, a large ball of rust with no engine, missing sheet metal, but with a rare VIN on the apron? Some of these vehicles you wouldn't even CONSIDER touching if they were absolutely identical but with a different engine code letter. I don't understand....

Steve

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
Must be because they're rare and will bring more profit margin when restored. Then there's the "I've got a real one and you don't" factor.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A real VIN, yes. But for many of these, there's probably more original vehicle on a clone.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Take a 65 Shelby, for example....

Without the right VIN, it's a $20K "clone".

With the VIN, it's suddenly a $50K car.

Sounds like a VIN is worth $30K in this case....

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Just watch out for those guys you buy the rust bucket for 2k,
the clone for 18k and then use a plasma cutter, mig welder, and a $200 re-paint to turn a quick profit.

G

·
0 Posts
I know a local guy,who has around 15 or so 65/70 mustangs every one of them is pretty rare car
[of couple of shelby converts,2 65 gt350s a 66 350 a 3 types of boss`s,Gt convert`s,428 cars and such]
every one of them is a parts car or very rusty,he has only 1 complete car[68 GT350] he`s not a club member, wont or cant restore them,he like to say he ownes them!.OH sell them, never! there classics
all he realy owns is the right to say he has them .
I was thinking ,does saying ive got one,say a real 66GT350,wrong motor,rusty,missing a ton of parts
make it more fun than the guy who cloned one right down to last detail and drives it around?
Me,if i can`t drive it,real or clone, i sell it!
Dave

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dave, you must know that there are folks who have perfectly restored cars, and drive them exactly as much as those rust buckets with no motors. I can't relate to them, but for some, the joy is in the owning.

Steve

G

·
0 Posts
Ya , your right, everybodys diffrent.
caroll shelby one said[ at a saac convention dinner] i built them to drive an race, not to be put in shows
an pamperd, i rememberd it p/o a few people that night!
Dave

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I have this friend with a nice #2 ivy green '67 A-code fastback. After receiving his first place trophy at local car shows he often says, "Do you think I ought to look for a Shelby?" I always reply, "Is the Shelby going to give you more satisfaction than your '67?" He always mumbles, "Well, No! It won't! But then I can be more smug about my trophy!" With a good friend like me, he's saving a lot of money...

G

·
0 Posts
Till reading all this I hadn't really thought about it. I own 3 shelbys, 66 gt350 and 2 conv 68 gt500. I never tell anyone I own the 68's nor do I show them because I don't want to feel smug/arrogant etc. I have fun driving a 66 clone 350 4spd that everyone loves around town both to hear and see but have almost NO fun with the 68's, they are almost like a piece of investment property I own that I can only rarely enjoy. Art

·
Registered
804 Posts
I really hate seeing someone cut VIN's and put them on other cars, but it happens. I have a C code fast-back and a 6 cylinder coupe. My fastback is a Shelby clone and the cope will be a V8 conversion. Both drivers....I understand the value of a Boss, Shelby, or K code (and wish I had one), but all Mustangs are fun when they are driven.

Todd

G

·
0 Posts
one thing ive run into w/my 65 GT 350,is most people thinks its a clone[except someone who realy knows
shelby`s] i take mine out almost every weekend around town.
I get people all the time asking how much did it cost to do that[clone it] and i just smile and say about
4,500.00 and they go WOW thats not bad!!,i never tell em thats what it cost brand new in 65 !
my K code 65 vert sits most of the time also,so i know what you mean
ive got a 65 Acode convert w/auto thats my every day driver [along w/ a new mustang GT]
Dave

·
Registered
455 Posts
Man, how many times has it been said. It is all in the eyes of the beholder -OR-it is strictly a matter of personal preference. Here is to Shelby owners, owners of rust buckets, owners of clones, owners of T-codes to v-eight conversions, and the rest of us mustang addicts. I have noticed over the long haul, it will always be out there,(Differences of opinions) and it will never change. Who knows, maybe someday I will own the ultimate, then again, maybe I will just get in my 65 6 cyl fastback and go for a spin with the mother of my five stepdaughters. God love you all.
jazzbo

1 - 13 of 13 Posts