Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I have the correct steering wheel for my 66 Mustang?
My new-to-me 1966 Mustang conv would not cancel the turn signals, and it turns out it does not have the signal cancelling clip that normally fits over the hub of the steering wheel.

So, I bought a 1966 signal clip and tried to fit it on the wheel hub.
Nope! I cannot expand the spring steel clip wide enough to fit over the hub!

"Mustang Charlie" in the neighborhood was not sure why this did not fit, and thought that POSSIBLY the wheel might be for a 1967. (see attached pic of wheel)
The steering wheel fits perfectly down on my steering column's splined shaft, and goes nicely down to match the collar on the column.

The hub of the steering wheel has an outer diameter of 1 1/8"; the hub sticks out approximately 1/16" from the wheel's outside cfrome collar (see pic).
The signal-cancelling spring clip has an inner diameter of 1".

Can someone have a look at my steering wheel and tell me if it is for a 1966 or a 1967 car?
Any suggestions what may be going on here?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I thought the clip for a standard wheel was different to a deluxe wheel, but i just pulled one of a deluxe and it looks the same as a standard.
After pulling it off, it looks like there is no way it's ever gunna fit ... but it did.
If I could find my internal-external circlip pliers, it would go back on.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
289V - thanks - I guess I'll struggle with it a bit more.
I tried my circlip pliers, but they were not strong enough!
I tried two thin screw drivers, two pliers, one plier and one screw driver .. maybe I've gotten too weak....

Your wheel hub measures 1 1/8" and the clip is 1" unexpanded??

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
289vert - thank you for checking.
I have even been thinking of cutting the clip in half, then drilling each half for a small screw and tapping holes in the wheel hub so that I can screw each half into place. Should work and certainly won't be visible or hurt the wheel.
Will give a better effort next week (on travel and away).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts