Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I own a 66 Mustang coupe with the 200 cu. in. 6 cylinder and manual brakes. I am replacing the master cylinder as part of a brake overhaul. I cannot get the pushrod out of the back of the master cylinder. I thought that they just pulled out. Any ideas why my pushrod will not come out?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
There's a clip on the end of the pushrod that expands into a groove once it's installed.

Good luck getting it out.

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
I usually need to use a vise, drift pin, and small sledgehammer.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
So is there a clip holding it in or just stuck?

·
Premium Member
13,185 Posts
be prepared to buy a new pushrod. They are sometimes ruined during the removal battle, err, I mean the removal "process".

Z.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lemonshindig - The clip you are talking about holds the piston in the master cylinder. I'm talking about the rod that goes through the firewall.

Zray - I think the new master cylinder comes with a new pushrod so I'll be ok. I just thought that the old pushrod would pull right out.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
lemonshindig - The clip you are talking about holds the piston in the master cylinder. I'm talking about the rod that goes through the firewall.
No, I'm not. I'm talking about the push ROD that goes through the firewall, same as you. There's a clip on the end of it and it's expanded out into the larger bore on the inside.

-Matt

·
Registered
1,778 Posts

Zray - I think the new master cylinder comes with a new pushrod so I'll be ok. I just thought that the old pushrod would pull right out.
OK now I am confused. My 69 has a master push rod and the clip is on the end- it snaps into the piston in the master, but this IS the rod that goes from the brake pedal to the master cylinder. Is the older stang assembly different? If so please enlighten me. If NOT- put the rod in the vise, smack the firewall side of the master with a BFH (a sudden sharp blow) It should pop out. (you could wait for the new master and examine the new push rod) I doubt you can pull the rod by hand

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
The black ring at the tip is the clip. It snaps into a groove inside the master cylinder piston.

·
Registered
444 Posts
OK now I am confused. My 69 has a master push rod and the clip is on the end- it snaps into the piston in the master, but this IS the rod that goes from the brake pedal to the master cylinder. Is the older stang assembly different? If so please enlighten me. If NOT- put the rod in the vise, smack the firewall side of the master with a BFH (a sudden sharp blow) It should pop out. (you could wait for the new master and examine the new push rod) I doubt you can pull the rod by hand
Manual brakes have the pushrod from the pedal to the master and has the clip that's destroyed whe removing the pushrod from the master. New masters come with the pushrod so there's no reason to remove it.

Power brakes have one rod from the master to the booster and one rod from the booster to the pedal. New masters do not come with a pushrod. Both pushrod's stays with the booster.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone. I did not know that there was a small clip at the end of the pushrod. You learn something every day. You guys know your Mustangs. When the new master cylinder arrives I'll see the clip on the new pushrod. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm in the same situation...almost

I'm changing to a dual bowl master cylinder, as well.
I've attempted vigorously to get the pushrod out of the new M/C, prior to disassembling the running setup. I am now defeated, I see NO Way to get it out.

Who in the Atlanta area {^285} has successfully done this?
(And more importantly can I pay you to do mine)

Thanks,

Damon Beck
Johns Creek, GA

Plain Ole 3spd/I6 '66 Coupe

·
Premium Member
13,185 Posts
generally a new m/c does not come with the pushrod installed. In any case why can't you just leave it in place?

Z.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Should I try that first?

I haven't removed the old M/C yet for comparison (tomorrow's project) but the documentation that came with this one says for 1966 I'll need to reuse the existing pushrod to maintain pedal continuity.

I'm goin' all in tomorrow; total success or total failure is imminent, I’m prying it out one way or the other. Back-up plan… I live w/i 20 miles of Mustangs Unlimited, and they have the adjustable replacement rod in stock, but I’d REALLY hate to waste another 50 bucks.

Damon Beck
Johns Creek, GA

Plain Ole 3spd/I6 '66 Coupe

·
Premium Member
13,185 Posts
"........I'm goin' all in tomorrow; total success or total failure is imminent, I’m prying it out one way or the other........."

stop stop stop.

If the rods are the same length there is no reason to pull out the new rod. Typically to remove the rod you have to put it in a vice and pull like hell on the m/c. Often the rod is ruined in the process. for what it's worth I only use adjustable push rods.

Also you will need a new clip as the old one will be trashed in the process, they aren't that easy to find.

good luck.

Z.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts