Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the instructions on a dissasembly book, and it says to remove the electrical conections and bracket form the column and simply slide it out. BS! I can't get the column seperated from the steering box (engine bay). I bolted the box back to the frame so i could pry on it some, but I have given it all I have, and the damn thing doesn't slide off! I can move the column freely in and out of the firewall, but it wont let go of the box! What the hell am I missing?

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
The shaft on pre-68's are a one piece shaft with the worm fear on the end. It does not come apart.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Maybe the book forgot to mention that a hacksaw is needed for steering shaft removal on '66's although I suspect a cutting torch would work well too.

BTW, what diassembly book are you using if they didn't mention that it's a one piece shaft? You'll have to remove the steering wheel and extract the steering box and shaft from the bottom. As I recall there's something else in the way too. You may want to invest in the factory manual to save yourself some future grief.
Rich

·
Registered
713 Posts
You have to take the shaft out the front of the car with the steering box attached. Get the car up in the air after you have lifted your engine up some so that the box clears the engine. You may also have to disconnect some of the steering linkage.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
The column slides right off the shaft after removing the center nut at the steering wheel.

Column is the larger tube held in place under the dash with a flat u shaped clamp.

"Steering box shaft" goes from the steering box (as one unit, box and shaft 65-66) through the middle of the steering column tube.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, it was the whole "steering wheel" thing. I didn't realize that had to be removed to get the column/shaft out. All good now, thanks guys.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts